We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queensland Outback

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Queensland Outback

Booked our flights to Brisbane next February and are looking to get away from the Queensland Coast for a week or ten days for a stay in the outback.

Having great difficulty deciding where the most interesting parts are. Should we head for Longreach and explore that area or are the Western Downs more interesting?

We are looking for good quality accommodation as we will most likely self drive. The other big point for us to consider is the weather as I guess it will be pretty warm in February!

All your feedback will be warmly received.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Queensland Outback

Hi

I thought I would recommend Carnarvon NP for a visit but you should keep in mind februari can have serious flooding in QLD. We also have been to Longreach, visited the Qantas Museum and the not to be missed Stockman's Hall of fame. Went to the gemfields in Rubyvale and Sapphire and visited Brisbane's hinterland with places as Glass House Mountains and Bunya Mountains NP. These all were great trips but we went in october some years ago and not in the Wet. I hope a local expert can give you more info. This year we were in South Australia, and Lake Eyre filled with water because of the heavy QLD rains 1000s of kms away.

Tet

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queensland Outback

February can indeed be a wet and hot/humid month in Queensland.

I would agree with Tet, though, in recommending Carnarvon Groge NP if you are interested in seeing something quite different and think you could stand the temperatures. www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park/index.cgi…

Here's my review from a couple of years ago: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255067-d559…

We were due to go there again two weeks ago but unfortunatley I was ill and we had to cancel. That would have been my third visit to the gorge and I know that we will go back in the future. It truly is worth seeing.

I haven't been to Longreach but it is somewhere that I'm keen to see at some stage.

You could perhaps consider driving from Brisbane to Longreach via Carnarvon Gorge and then flying from Longreach back to Brisbane. That way you would get to see lots of different towns along the way.

I've also attached the Queensland 150 must-dos as it might give you a few other ideas. There's lots of interesting things on there. http://www.150mustdos.com.au/

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queensland Outback

Hi,

If you want to touch the edge of the outback - driving comfortably, I would be inclined to drive from Brisbane to St George (Overnight), then down to Lightning Ridge (2 nights), Walgett, Collarenebri, Moree (Overnight), Inverell, Glen Innes, Grafton (Overnight), Back to Brisbane.

If you want to get serious, you need to be looking at travelling to towns like Birdsville, Nockatunga, Innamincka, Bourke and Broken Hill.

Sydney
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Queensland Outback

Hi I liked what Beachbum8 suggested. Yes it will be very hot and accommodation styles can vary from town to town in the outback. Suggest you check out www.needitnow.com for cheap accommodation or hire an airconditioned campervan or 4WD campervan from www.maui.com.au and you will have complete freedom to go and stay where ever you want.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Queensland Outback

Longreach is a worthwhile stop for at least 2 days and if you are interested in dinosaurs then pay a visit to Winton and nearby areas. A couple of years ago the Qld tourism put out an interesting brochure on the dinosaur loop as there are some excellent sites in that area. Having said that February is not a good month to visit that region as it can get some heavy rainfall and the roads can be cut, even the highway can be closed for several days, longer if a bridge is washed out. Plus the weather will be very hot and the number of hotels/motels in this area is very limited. The gravel roads can be a trap as some cross black soil plains and you can easily get bogged up to your axles in gooey sticky mud.

The northern part of Queensland is subject to cyclones which can close the roads with floods.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queensland Outback

Thank you all for your views and advice, we will not be off roading or getting into a really remote situation although I would love to visit Birdsville or other far away places but not in February.

I will check out all your advice, in the meantime if you have other ideas keep them flowing.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queensland Outback

Hi Crazypom... I lived on the Sunshine Coast, an hour north of Brisbane, for 15 years and recently moved to Longreach to manage my parents motel. I absolutely LOVE it here. There is so much to see and do even though it's a small outback country town. Qantas museum and tours through the 747 and 707, Stockmans Hall of Fame that is an amazing display of Australian history from before first European settlement to present time. Powerhouse museum. Sunset dinner cruise with dinner around a campfire and bush poet/singing etc. There is something magical about the Australian bush.... go for a drive out to the river ( I can give you our secret fishing spot! ) and see the emus and kangaroos in their natural habitat.

Yes gets hot in summer but air con everywhere. The heat is mainly dry though.

Get away from the coast definitely, so many outback places worth seeing.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Queensland Outback

Yes, loved our Longreach stay. Good bakery as well!! Larn, I saw your post on the LV forum. If you need help just let me know...

Cheers

Tet

9. Re: Queensland Outback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2010, 06:19