We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days Brisbane to Cairns > car/B+B or camper van?

suffolk
Level Contributor
191 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
10 days Brisbane to Cairns > car/B+B or camper van?

Hi I'd appreciate advice please - we (two 50 somethings) are planning 28 day trip to Oz in late Sept/Oct 2010. First 12 days with friends just north of Brisbane, then we wanted to drive slowly up coast to Cairns, seeing lots as we go, taking about 10 days. Then plane to Sydney for few days then home.

We are on a fairly tight budget, a 2 berth camper van appealed to us. Trailfinders quoted us about £1350 for 10 night hire incl insurance. Of course tax and campsite fees on top.

Can anyone advise, is this a much more expensive option than us hiring a car and doing lowish price B & bs or similar to Travelodge hotels?

We want to go to Cape Trib area, Kuranda, Daintree, poss Atherton Tablelands, poss hire motorbike at 1770 and see what else we find.

Apart from which to choose, would you book with UK travelagent now and pay in £, or book direct with Austarlia and pay dollars, not sure if one is better with current rate of exchange.

Also any other advice welcome on route, great nature to see etc. thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days Brisbane to Cairns > car/B+B or camper van?

Hi Annie- my only advice to you would be to factor in the cost of meals which could make you a considerable saving. In a motorhome you would be able to eat cheaply for all meals as you would be able to store the food and have cooking facilities at the ready. With the car/ cheap motel option you would need to add in the whole cost of meals.

Another option that I have done myself is to hire a car and rather than stay in motels/B and B's, stay at the van parks in cabins and/or on site vans. This way by purchasing an esky (cooler box) you would be able to transport your food with you and then use your own cooking facilties. You would save on fuel as a car is much cheaper to run than a motorhome. You then have just the car for when you arrive at a place and want to run around and see the local sites.

The Big 4 caravan parks have sites for campervans and have onsite cabins/vans as well.

http://www.big4.com.au/

Southern Alberta
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days Brisbane to Cairns > car/B+B or camper van?

I would go for the campervan. Personally I believe you get more of a feel for Australia when you meet people. Caravan parks let you do just that.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days Brisbane to Cairns > car/B+B or camper van?

I also agree with Kameka - go with the campervan or either just use the cabins/ vans in the caravan parks. Australia has wonderful caravan parks and most are ideally located on prime oceanfront land.

For example:

townof1770-agneswater.com.au/caravan-and-cam…

www.tropicalbeachcaravanparkbowen.com.au/

http://www.beachcombercoconut.com.au/

See link below for additional information.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

I would probably book on the Australian site and use $AUD - as if you have a problem you can easily contact them whilst in Australia.

EM.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,204 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days Brisbane to Cairns > car/B+B or camper van?

Annie have a look at the aud$ quoted Britz Toyota Hitop on www.drivenow.com.au

suffolk
Level Contributor
191 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days Brisbane to Cairns > car/B+B or camper van?

thanks everyone for your advice, we are still thinking about it.

Due to rate of exchange, budget tighter than we thought. Would like camper van but reading forums, need to have a good company Maui or apollo as don't want old heap that may conk out! Really want a loo also, not so bothered about shower. Would love to stay in National Park sites some nights. Have had quotes from Austravel/Travelbag/Trailfinders of about £1300 - £1500 for 10 days. Plus fuel and camping but would possibly try some "free" sites occasionally.

Getting comparisons on real cost of car rentals quotes is a nightmare as I want the best insurance cover just in case. I looked at Cabins in big 4 and some were already booked up completely for 1 night in October. We like quieter places with ensuite but don't need luxury, any other ideas for cheap accomodation please? Do people mostly book ahead, as otherwise we'd spend some time each night trying to find something ok we could afford, as my husband says he doesn't do hostels!

Finalyy, would like to go to Cape Trib area as my son said it was great, but concerned we might not get far with camper van, as you must stick to sealed roads. Anyone got any advice about this please?

Thanks again for your time

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days Brisbane to Cairns > car/B+B or camper van?

Hi,

Regarding Cape Tribulation - its a sealed road from Cairns to CT, however you cannot take you campervan past CT..

For info on accomodation - most Australians use www.wotif.com.au to book and see rates/ availability of rooms available in hotels. ie..

wotif.com/hotels/australia-qld-mackay-region…

This website is excellent for observing availability -

I would also" google " each destination - for cabins in caravan parks ie...Mackay. October is not a busy holiday time unless its in the middle of school holidays. australia.gov.au/topics/…school-term-dates

http://www.bucasiabeach.com.au/

http://www.andergrovepark.com.au/

7. Re: 10 days Brisbane to Cairns > car/B+B or camper van?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 05:16