We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cania Gorge - has anyone been?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Cania Gorge - has anyone been?

My husband and I are planning a nine day driving holiday in early October this year and we're thinking of spending two nights at Cania Gorge. Has anyone been to the gorge? Is it worth a visit?

We loved Carnarvon Gorge and are hoping that Cania Gorge will be similar. Both of us enjoy bushwalking and camping and thought this might be a nice way to kick off our holiday.

Also, we'd be keen to hear about the facilities. There are two campgrounds near the national park - Cania Gorge Tourist Retreat or Cania Gorge Caravan and Tourist Park. Any feedback on either of these?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cania Gorge - has anyone been?

I have been there. They have an overhang walk where there is the micro climate that allows some rainforest type vegetation to survive all this time whereas all around it has become drier. I think from water seepage. So has some similarity to Canarvon. We only did one other short walk as our stay was brief so not up on all of them plus it was ages ago so memory a bit fogged, maybe some rock art art?.. Not as impressive as Carnarvon but I really enjoyed our brief stay there. We booked a cabin but was only one room with a bed, no cooking or ensuite so may as well been in a tent lol (was Top Tourist park). The camp kitchen was a blast though.The people that stop there are all into hiking so everyone is on the same page and makes for a fun place to be.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cania Gorge - has anyone been?

Thanks for the feedback, Verdant. We really enjoy the camaraderie around the camp fire at night so that sounds very promising.

I like the idea of lots of short walks. We won't have heaps of time either so at least we'll get to experience some of it. It sounds so beautiful, I'm really surprised that more people haven't ventured out there.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cania Gorge - has anyone been?

I have been there twice for family holidays. Both times stayed at the Cania Gorge caravan and tourist park (the one further in the gorge). The first time was sensational. However, they have since had new managers and the second time I booked one of the two modern cabins - when we turned up, they had turfed us into a dodgy old cabin even though I had specifically requested the other one!! not happy.

However, it is a fantastic, relaxing place - great wildlife, hikes, canoeing, fishing etc. Really recommend a look.

4. Re: Cania Gorge - has anyone been?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2011, 05:16