We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

we are about to spend 3 weeks in oz over xmas/ ny's - most of it in north half of queensland. my daughter is working in sydney for the summer and has done a general canvas of opinion re. swimming/ stinger issue. despite industry and tripad assurances otherwise 100% of people she has canvassed have said there is no real chance of any 'swimming' in stinger infested whitsundays over the period xmas/ ny's. now, grumpy as i am getting with the travel industry in general and crap market research, the prospect of spending 3 hot days sitting on a tall ship and long days to drive there etc without cooling off in the sea is a serious medical issue (circulation) and there is no possibility of getting it wrong (we chose oz for shorter flight). so, i am going to legally reframe my questions to certain travel departments and i will post the answers on tripadvisor. yes photos are taken on best days but overtly misleading advertising is another thing. esp when it results in health crisis/ potential death. if queensland is hot as hades it is unrealistic to suggest visitors wont miss swimming and that stingers are a non-issue. i cannot think of a travel promo for oz that doesnt include frolicking on a beach /in the sea. other countries openly admit to seasonal drawbacks at great economic cost and i dont see why there should be so much ambiguity with regard to travelling in oz. if its a lousy time to travel its a lousy time to travel.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

there are plenty of warnings and advice available.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,720 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

Joydot, Come to Tassie!!

Tasmania is superb at that time of year. However, in the interests of full disclosure, I will mention that our snakes are all poisonous and the jack jumper ants are ferocious.

Enjoy your trip,

Luigi

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

Suggest you look for somewhere else for your holiday where you will be happy.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

there is zero ambiguity. In fact Queensland is the only tropical region to warn of jellyfish stings.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

well I have seen some warnings in parts of Asia but no-where near the awareness campaigns we have in Australia.

I for one, as many of you know, always point out the stinger situation in NQ , having grown up there and lived with it all first hand. But after that its individaul choice and it doesnt always deter people from visiting - there are plenty of other things to do and stinger suits available if snorkelling and diving are a must. It sounds like your gripe may well be with a travel agent you feel has mislead you ?

In saying that I do sometimes get annoyed at the glossy marketing campaigns that show masses of beautiful young things frollicking in the sea but not necessarily for the reasons you do. We have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world and THAT is a much greater example of irresponsible marketing IMHO......

and other countries do not always admit to seasonal drawbacks. Try getting a straight answer from anyone in Thailand about Stingers.....or anyone in Hong Kong about smog etc..etc....

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

The reality is 150,000 MILLION jellyfish stings every year GLOBALLY.

10,000 in Australia.

Fraction of those in the Whitsundays.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

>>i cannot think of a travel promo for oz that doesnt include frolicking on a beach /in the sea.<<

Big difference in climate across a country as big as Australia. I must admit it is a concern that overseas posters regularly seem not to appreciate that. There will be plenty of people frolicking in the sea along the coast nearest us (NSW South Coast) over Christmas. In the interests of full disclosure I'll mention bluebottles, but although I've seen them I don't remember missing out on any swimming in all my years of going to the beach in summer. Hubby, growing up in Sydney, spent even more time on the beach in his youth, and did have one encounter in all those years. So I guess it's something to be aware of, but as I said, plenty of people will be "frolicking in the sea" in the south. In the north I believe stinger suits and netted beaches go some way to alleviate the problem during stinger season, I'm sorry if that wasn't what you expected.

Edited: 11 November 2010, 01:43
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

>>i cannot think of a travel promo for oz that doesnt include frolicking on a beach /in the sea.<<

Big difference in climate and conditions across a country as big as Australia. I must admit it is a concern that overseas posters regularly seem not to appreciate that. There will be plenty of people frolicking in the sea along the coast nearest us (NSW South Coast) over Christmas. In the interests of full disclosure I'll mention bluebottles, but although I've seen them I don't remember missing out on any swimming in all my years of going to the beach in summer. Hubby, growing up in Sydney, spent even more time at the beach in his youth, and did have just one encounter in all those years. So I guess it's something to be aware of (I wonder should we also mention rips now?). But as I said, plenty of people will be "frolicking in the sea" in the south. In the north I believe stinger suits and netted beaches go some way to alleviate the problem during stinger season, I'm sorry if that wasn't what you expected.

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

the stinger situ only surfaced - pun intended - after prelim research/ booking flights. then in mad panic we began researching further and when 'official sites ' were encouraging calmed down and continued booking. dramatic 'warnings' appeared quickly for many parts of the world at the same time - yet with detailed reading some 'issues' turned out to be as pitiful as an hour of warm rain daily. we get more cold grimy rain than that in a day in auckland. there is nothing hindering about warm rain esp when its 30 degrees, but not being able to swim in extreme heat zones - unacceptable. anyone with access to tv knows about oz snakes, spiders etc but life goes on for all and sundry. the stinger situ makes a huge diff and needs to be dealt with differently.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

" the stinger situ makes a huge diff and needs to be dealt with differently"

and how do u suggest this be done apart from the warnings and advice reduce the danger?

what about sharks, crocodiles, cone shells, stone fish, stingrays, blue ringed octopus, portuguese men of war? u think that all the advertising for tourism should include cigarette type warnings?

never seen a nz ad for queenstown skiing include an avalanche warning or one for christchurch with an earthquake warning.

there is a degree of caveat emptor associated with everything we do and one has to weigh up the risks. making us more of a nanny state than we already are has its limits.

i think u are making more of an issue of this than it deserves.

Edited: 11 November 2010, 04:35