We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

we are about to spend 3 weeks in oz over xmas/ ny's - most of it in north half of queensland. my daughter is working in sydney for the summer and has done a general canvas of opinion re. swimming/ stinger issue. despite industry and tripad assurances otherwise 100% of people she has canvassed have said there is no real chance of any 'swimming' in stinger infested whitsundays over the period xmas/ ny's. now, grumpy as i am getting with the travel industry in general and crap market research, the prospect of spending 3 hot days sitting on a tall ship and long days to drive there etc without cooling off in the sea is a serious medical issue (circulation) and there is no possibility of getting it wrong (we chose oz for shorter flight). so, i am going to legally reframe my questions to certain travel departments and i will post the answers on tripadvisor. yes photos are taken on best days but overtly misleading advertising is another thing. esp when it results in health crisis/ potential death. if queensland is hot as hades it is unrealistic to suggest visitors wont miss swimming and that stingers are a non-issue. i cannot think of a travel promo for oz that doesnt include frolicking on a beach /in the sea. other countries openly admit to seasonal drawbacks at great economic cost and i dont see why there should be so much ambiguity with regard to travelling in oz. if its a lousy time to travel its a lousy time to travel.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,100 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

Joydot, you've copped a flogging here and I think that's really unfair. I think we all need to recognise the value of a repeat customer.

However, I must say that when I went to NZ to see the wildlife - cause I like that sort of stuff - just about all I saw was bloody possums! Where was the disclosure on that one? :)

Luigi

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

Oh if joydot doesn't answer Mac, I will try to interpret.

Think OP means she has been to Australia 7 times and it seems like every holiday she had a problem.

Probably had to have a tetanus shot because someone was bitten by a spider, and then sandflies bit the OP too, but wait on... tetanus injections don't help that.....perhaps try Vit. B next time that is supposed to help, or aeroguard, I'd recommend tropical strength.

oh find another interpreter.....

There are seasnakes in New Caledonia, and they love to sunbake on the beaches.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

Not unfair at all Luigi. They came out accusing all and sundry of sins worse than murder and rant and rave about death by heat yet survived hotter than hell Texas thinking incorrectly the beaches were off limits They say they are after a lawsuit, easy money. I have no respect for this type of fear mongering that only serves to make others change plans for the wrong reasons when with education they can have the holiday of a lifetime as so many do.

Edited: 11 November 2010, 10:31
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,100 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

I'm just trying to be even-handed, V. :)

Luigi

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

Totally agree Verdant, the post was negative from the start..

And being serious now, it appears to be a fight with the travel agent/s and tour providers about trying to cancel.

Cairns
Level Contributor
44 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

There would be a reason for jellyfish in Mother Natures plan, oh thats right its just come to me Turtles rely on them for food then crocodiles rely on them for food and sharks rely on them for food. Its all called the wheel of life.

There are nasties all over the world and if you are going to be a traveller at all just be aware outside your house there is danger just like inside your house there is danger.

If you go out in the hot sun you use sunscreen

If you go inot the rainforest use insect repellant

If you go swimming do use the nylon suits that the tour operators offer. We all look like smurfs and its fun.

Anyway from the millions of people that snorkel and dive the Whitsundays and the Great Barrier Reef the number that actualy get stung is very very minimal due to the duty of care that the boat operators take.

You are more likely to be hit on the head by a coconut from what I have read and no not all stings are lethal. You have to have pre-disposed medical conditions and not seek help and who in their right mind would not seek help. Have a look here this may help you out a bit more accurate reserach based information www.cairnsattractions.com.au

Hope this helps ease your mind

Happy holidays

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
96 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

after some reflection i conclude that there are several 'experts' on TA that arent even remotely expert by legal definition. oops, theres that word again. makes you frantic no doubt (: . try not to let it spoil your holidays. best bring TA into the mix over this - the title 'expert' suggests a modicum of balanced information and the point of TA is access to detail that the travel industry may not be overly thrilled to present. i dont consider your info balanced and there may be consumer laws compromised.

while i dont call myself an expert if you ask me i will gladly tell you that only a drunk uni student would hit texas beaches and only a misguided time-challenged soul on favourable exchange would travel around nz when with a little imagination there are so many amazing, accessible places around the globe. biz trips aside this is our seventh holiday in oz - 2 of them 6 weeks in length - so thank you and please come back soon would be nice altho its possible good manners arent on the antipodes curriculem? one in five of this years earned dollars will evaporate in the upcoming 3 australian weeks and it better be as fabulous as promised or the pen will become mightier than the sword. there is a reason your tourist industry is in decline ...

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: suspect swimming conditions dec/ jan/ feb queensland

see how good 40ish's thread was?

even the narky are coming.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor