We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

Tropical Cyclone Yasi is a large system and could potentially affect a large area of central/north Queensland. Landfall expected Thursday 3rd February.

…noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html

Official warnings. (not yet on map)

http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/

This could fizzle out or change course, all very unpredictable but at this stage one word is applicable - scary.

Stay informed on this system if travelling to central/northern Queensland in this coming week even if it appears to wane, or change course. They can backtrack and/or re-intensify as long as the system is over water.

Forum talk

…weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/…26

Mentioned in this post
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

Sorry, 2011 !

This coming Thursday just to be totally clear.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,230 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

stay dry Verdant & good luck

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

Thanks Thmoore :)

Should be south of us though. Furtherest north so far predicted is Innisfail which is very cruel of nature. Lightening should never strike twice....

Mentioned in this post
Innisfail
Innisfail
Queensland, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

Verdant thanks for those links. It was interesting reading through the Weatherzone forum link and looking at some of those maps. I use weatheronline.co.uk for international travle bit didn't realise it had all that other stuff there.

Edited: 30 January 2011, 10:42
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

This is the site that insurance companies pay for - it is usually VERY accurate but Yasi is still a fair way out - right now it is tracking over the roof of my house. Selfishly I'm happy if the track moves a bit further south.

http://www.tropicalstormrisk.com/

Anywhere north of Ayr has barely felt Anthony as it crosses the coast at Bowan.

Mentioned in this post
Ayr
Ayr
Queensland, Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

Whiteman, that is two agencies that track it north of Townsville. The Tyhpoon Warning Centre do as well. All the others say central Queensland.

The forum replies indicate ithat prediction paths are changing to north as time goes by though.

It can and will change next few days though the forum experts indicate it odd so much consensus is unusual so far out.

My prediction sticks. Scary!

Mentioned in this post
Townsville
Townsville
Queensland, Australia
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

Apart from the rain falling now, North Queensland seems to have escaped relatively unscathed from Anthony.

I found some of those forecast tracks interesting. Whiteman your place does look right in the line of fire at the moment. If I was in my old home town of Townsville I would be checking the cyclone supply cupboard too. Townsville has not had strong cyclone hit since 1971 with Althea so lets hope some memory cells kick in soon.

Please anyone heading north keep an eye on the reports and this thread- this one well and truely has the potential to be very dangerous.

Mentioned in this post
Queensland
Queensland
Australia
Townsville
Townsville
Queensland, Australia
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

I think it's time for tourists to start booking flights out of the way of this one. Whereever it hits the Bruce H'way will go under for a while and if Larry was a guide it could be at least a week. Larry didn't have much of a storm surge but Yasi could be a whole lot different.

I've got good provisions and generators at home but we will probably be evacuated as we were when Larry came through. The police don't take chances these days and arguing the point doesn't seem to work.

New Plymouth, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

Hi Folks I don't usually post in this area, came over to see what is being said. I have to agree with the previous poster, this thing is bigger than huge. LTB (hi, Gail) gave me this website on the Vanuatu forum. Worth a look, one word scarey.

…noaa.gov/sohemi/sohemiloops/shirgmscol.html

Good Luck and best wishes, the Vanuatu met track map for Yasi shows it heading straight for Innisfail (Landfall around 17D30mS )

Edited: 31 January 2011, 04:49
Mentioned in this post
Innisfail
Innisfail
Queensland, Australia
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cyclone Warning Thursday 3rd February, 2010

Oldjon Innisfail Nooooooooo, that is not fair. Nooo.!!

The weatherzone chatter (linked to in op) mentions the potential for yet another cyclone to come in after Yasi.

Cannot beleive it.

Mentioned in this post
Innisfail
Innisfail
Queensland, Australia