We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving the Queensland Coast - Which Month to Choose

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving the Queensland Coast - Which Month to Choose

Hi

Me and my girlfriend are planning a 2 week driving trip from Brisbane to Cairns/PD with stops at several beach places along the way. I am undecided on which time of year to make this trip. Obviously we want to avoid monsoon season and maximise our chances of blue skies, but we also want to be able to sit outside in our shorts in the evenings and enjoy eating and drinking in a warm, balmy climate. We live in Brisbane so I know how chilly the evenings get from june to august, and we want to try to avoid this.

Our options are mid April or the start of June. May is out of the question due to prior engagements. Waiting until spring is also an option, but it seems such a long time away!

We are also considering flying to Airley and doing our drive from there in order to avoid the cooler south QLD evenings.

Any recommendations welcome.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving the Queensland Coast - Which Month to Choose

Hmm good question. Mid-April will be warmer than June but depending how long the wet season lasts April can sometimes still be quite wet up here. Although this year they're forecasting a drier wet than normal so who knows? June will certainly be drier and will still have very pleasant night and day temps with averages around 18-26C. We live in shorts all year round and only resort to tracksuits on some cold (for us!) winter nights when the temp drops below 18-20!

Personally we hate the southern part of that drive which in parts is boring, boring, boring! By far the most interesting areas to drive through and explore, once you leave the Sunshine Coast and Fraser Island areas which I guess you would know pretty well anyway, are from about the Whitsundays north. So my choice would be to fly the southern bit and enjoy the drive from there north!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,685 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving the Queensland Coast - Which Month to Choose

Another vote for flying into the Whitsundays & picking up a car to explore the region.

My favourite month is September - no stingers & no cyclones. Plus in Nth Qld the weather is usually goregous at this time of the year.

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
259 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving the Queensland Coast - Which Month to Choose

My favourite time is April, it shouldn't still be wet then ( that is if it ever starts this year !! ).

Also agree the drive between Brisbane and Townsville ( with the exception of the Airlie Beach area ) is horrible, a real endurance test.

4. Re: Driving the Queensland Coast - Which Month to Choose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 05:18