We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location help!

Petts Wood, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Location help!

Hello!

I would love some help from you experts please to suggest a place for me to have some R&R at the end of my trip!! I am travelling to Australia solo and I have 5 nights at the end of my stay where I am looking to chill out with a bit of beach time with the option of having a bit of sightseeing. I'd like somewhere with a bar or two but not noisy nightlife, I like towns with character and a good choice of restaurants would be perfect.

I'm travelling on a budget and had looked at Noosa but thought it seemed to be more of an expensive town? I also have looked at Hervey Bay but I'm just not sure there is enough there but perhaps I'm wrong? Broadbaach was suggested when I posted a previous question but I struggled to find budget accommodation (preferably around the A$80 pn mark).

It's for the 5th of October and I am searching for somewhere no more than about a 6 hour drive from Brisbane (preferably north to hopefully get warmer weather). I realise that this is within school holidays and so if there is anywhere that is not over run with families that would be amazing but I realise unlikely!

Any suggestions would be greatly received!

Thank you :)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location help!

Hi Julia

I think you are right about Hervey Bay. There isn't much there for a 5 night stay (apart from the obvious trip to Fraser Island) and the beaches aren't as nice as those further south.

For a nice beach location with bars and restaurants, you are on the right track with Noosa. Its also naturally beautiful with the national park that has nice walks and koalas and also we have seen whales and dolphins at that time of year. Problem is your budget is really low for the spring school holiday season. Other alternatives might be Mooloolaba or Byron Bay, but the problem is that a lot of accommodation in beachside areas is quite high quality apartment style and isn't cheap. Try some websites like Visit Noosa or Accom Noosa. Not quite as cheap as $80 IME but sometimes around $100 per night in Noosa region.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location help!

Noosa itself is expensive and a bit posh

Tewantin is cheaper, quieter, on the river not the beach

can walk to Noosa or get transport to anywhere else

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location help!

You could check out .. http://www.coolummotel.com/index.html ... budget accommodation. Noosa is 20 mins up the road and Mooloolabah 20 mins the other way. I have no idea of the quality of this place but it fits your budget. Check it out.

Petts Wood, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location help!

Thanks guys! I've found accommodation near Tewantin for my budget so that's great you have confirmed it is a good location.

I had come across the Coolum motel but couldn't find much info in what Coolum it's self is like, even my guidebook doesn't say much on it. I had found a previous comment in the forum that said its not like it used to be but obviously I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks for your help so far!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location help!

Coolum is still nice, its just a getting a bit more developed than it used to be for those of us that grew up there. It does have a great beach and some nice little coves and there is now some good restaurants.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location help!

Coolum itself is quite small, there are a decent number of places to eat, some shopping and a really nice beach. You can catch a bus from coolum to get to mooloolaba or noosa.

Tewantin is about a 10 minute drive to the beaches (noosa/sunshine), you can also catch a ferry -so it might be a bit of a trek if you want a relaxer on the beach every day. tewantin also a bit on the quiet side and you would be travelling to eat out at night etc.

Another area within noosa thats a bit cheaper and a bit closer to the beach would be noosaville, lots of restaurants along gympie tce, but still need to catch transport to beach.

If you can find cheap accomodation in Mooloolaba, it would be better than Coolum or Tewantin IMO. its bigger, way more eating options, bars, shopping etc, lovely beach. You can catch a bus up to noosa for the day. Noosa is really lovely. Have you considered backpacker accom? Havent stayed in any myself, but if u are on a budget might be the way to go. They are not all dormitory style, i believe most have private rooms. halse lodge backpackers is in an awesome spot in noosa

Petts Wood, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location help!

Thanks for your help guys I'm going to book Australis Noosa Lakes as it seems to be between Tewantin and Noosaville. Despite mixed reviews it looks nice and exactly what I am looking for.

Your advise was really appreciated, I was getting very frustrated in not being able to find what I wanted.

Can't wait to go now!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location help!

Hi Julia

I dont think Australis Noosa Lakes fits in with your original request for ideas, however you might also like to also try Wynnum Anchor Motel which is a bit closer to Noosa and Noosaville.

ANL is closer to Tewantin, which is certainly a small town with lots of character.

Petts Wood, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location help!

Hi Surfoz

Thanks for your help, I have had a look at Wynnum Anchor Lodge however it is outside of Brisbane no where near Noosa.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Julia

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Location help!

I'm so sorry Julia, I meant Anchor Motel Noosa

http://www.anchormotelnoosa.com.au/