We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns to Brisbane in about 2 weeks.

London, England...
5 posts
Save Topic
Cairns to Brisbane in about 2 weeks.

Hi everyone.

I really need your help. I land in Cairns tomorrow with a working holiday visa for a year.

I originally planned to stay in Cairns to look for work and then after a few months work my way down the east coast.

However, I have just got a great job in Perth starting 21st July to end of September.

So now I plan to work my way from Cairns to Brisbane taking about 10days/2weeks before flying Brisbane to Perth. As I was expecting to have a lot more time I am totally unprepared in my research and now going to be stuck on a flight too!

I definitely want to dive the Great Barrier Reef (I am an advanced diver so would like to use that and ideally go to a really good dive site)

I also definitely want to do the Whitsundays and Fraser Island.

i'm interested in doing a skydive but it's not necessary.

I plan on buying a hop on/off Greyhound pass from Cairns to Brisbane.

Is it best to dive the reef from Cairns? Or from further south?

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice as I'd like to get on the road in a couple of days!

Thanks!!!

Clare

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns to Brisbane in about 2 weeks.

Here's a great post by a regular TA contributor, Ellemay, written a while ago but still with lots of handy info:-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

Definitely do your dive from Cairns as the outer reef up here is much closer to the mainland than further south so more easily, and quickly, accessible.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns to Brisbane in about 2 weeks.

Well I hope I've caught you because you may be in the air already so I'll type fast!

Check out this dive. http://www.yongaladive.com.au/

You can also dive at Tangalooma wrecks off Moreton Island near Brisbane itself.

The reef is massive as you know. As you plan to visit the Whitsundays (very wise) visit tourismwhitsundays.com.au/attractions/diving/

tourismwhitsundays.com.au/attractions/…

whitsundaydivecentre.com/whitsunday-dive-adv…

The water clarity here is superior to some other areas. We've had a look around the Keppel Group in Central Queensland and have yet to find really good water clarity there.

Of course you'll be able to continue your exploring in WA.

Hope this helps,

Jen

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,669 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns to Brisbane in about 2 weeks.

Another vote for diving off Moreton Island at the wrecks & definetly stop off at Airlie Beach ( Whitsundays) its a beautiful region.

4. Re: Cairns to Brisbane in about 2 weeks.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 06:18