We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preliminary Great Barrier Reef question

Wauchope, Australia
Level Contributor
582 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Preliminary Great Barrier Reef question

I've just been given the job of researching a holiday for 10 women to enjoy the reef. We would be flying and most are on a pretty tight budget. I was thinking a house through Stayz or similar would be the go but....where? This is to tick the Reef off my bestfriends bucket list for her 60th. So we want snorkelling and access to a day boat trip. Is Cairns best since we won't be driving? Time of year is negotiable too. We're assuming early Spring might be best?

Thanks, not being lazy just really unsure where to start and want some pointers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,943 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Preliminary Great Barrier Reef question

I'd consider one of the Northern Beaches.

Spring is great later spring is better as the winds tend to drop.

If you are happy o do a transfer i would serious;y consider heading up to Port Douglas. Lots of accom options

Whilst these aren't a cheap option they are more secure than stayz some will be about $60 per night each

The lakes apartments in Cairns may be another option.

Hope this helps

http://www.luxurycollection.com.au

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Preliminary Great Barrier Reef question

Just curious, GurusW, why you say "they are more secure than stayz"? Stayz is a very reputable online booking agency and so far I've never heard a bad report, and we've been dealing with them for years.

Finum, I second the recommendation for Port Douglas which I think would tick all your boxes, especially if you're coming for a few days? It's ideal for the reef and also access to the rainforest, great restaurants and shops and everywhere in walking distance. I've looked at Stayz for PD and there are several places which accommodate 10 and, as GurusW says, it would probably cost you $50-$60 pn each. With the wonderful huge Coles supermarket on your doorstep you'd easily self-cater to avoid expensive restaurants:-

stayz.com.au/accommodation/…

You could also check out www.booking.com and www.wotif.com.au

If your time was very short, and you didn't want the expense of transferring to Port Douglas, Cairns might be better for you - but I think you'd enjoy PD more!

3. Re: Preliminary Great Barrier Reef question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:23