We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A solo getaway.. where to go?

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Topic
A solo getaway.. where to go?

Hello!

I'm looking to book a solo, week long getaway somewhere warm, relaxing and around nature/rainforests/waterfalls/beach in Queensland. I'm not seeking huge adventure, just some down time, rainforest walks, beautiful scenery - nowhere too touristy like Surfers Paradise etc.

I have a free return flight to anywhere in Australia and so would like to go somewhere in Queensland - the questions is where?

My budget is $800-$1000 for accommodation for the week. It's tough trying to find somewhere cheap enough for one person.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay/areas/accommodation? And any easy day trips/things to do?

Thank you all in advance :)

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A solo getaway.. where to go?

Depends on when you are going. $1000 for a week can buy you some nice digs if you travel in a low season

Melbourne
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A solo getaway.. where to go?

Sorry I forgot to say when'! Looking at around 19-25 November 2013

:)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A solo getaway.. where to go?

I would contact places independently

IME they are sometimes happy to take a single at the reduced rate if they have plenty of capacity.

Perhaps look at places in the Daintree.

I know a friend of mine was very impressed with Cow Bay (same single chillax situation)

http://www.daintreevillage.asn.au/cowbay.html

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A solo getaway.. where to go?

Geez Jenna, a week anywhere in Aus in November. Lucky you. If you want to avoid the touristy thing in Qld, somewhere like Moreton Is might be nice. It would help if the usually vocal Queenslanders would help out

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A solo getaway.. where to go?

Glenn

That's why Cow Bay..shhhhh

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A solo getaway.. where to go?

Just a tip, avoid anywhere that has a Schoolies Week program! The dates clash with yours: http://www.schoolies.com/when-is-schoolies

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A solo getaway.. where to go?

Ok, I'm with you GurusW, Cow Bay, keep it secret keep it safe. Only you, Jenna and now me. Jenna, you could do much worse than follow GWs advice on this

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A solo getaway.. where to go?

Being a little biased here (grin!) perhaps look at accommodation around our lovely tiny Daintree Village! I think you'll find accommodation here within your price range.

destinationdaintree.com/daintreevillage.html

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,918 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A solo getaway.. where to go?

I stayed in Maroochydore in an appartment opposite the beach and it was fine, clean and comfortable with great views. Library and shops nearby, walks up the river. Buses to the different beaches. Info Centre for booking trips out just down the road.

I stayed in Allawah - normmartinrealestate.com.au/holiday/holiday_…

Quiet enough, walked on the beach with a glass of wine at night or watching early morning surfers. Cafes and family run resturants nearby.

Rainforest just up the road by bus in Buderim. Walk through to a restaurant on the edge of the rainforest. Maleney not so far.

Any chance you could wangle a free flight for me too? ;-)

Edited: 22 August 2013, 19:45
Marian
Level Contributor
134 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A solo getaway.. where to go?

The Sunshine Coast would be full of Schoolies though, if this the Schoolies week and that really would not be relaxing. That's a really good tip from Tourism Whitsunday and it should probably underpin all your choices. It might rule out the major areas like the Whitsundays, the Gold and Sunshine Coasts, Cairns etc. Certainly don't book anything without checking whether the Schoolies go there because it could ruin your quiet escape and that would be a shame. You could do a bit of rethink, and opt for something completely different - http://www.bushcamp.net/ , tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g131589… There are no beaches, but it is very relaxing and beautiful, and no schoolies I imagine. Good luck and have fun choosing :)