We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Brisb to Sydney year end - need to book hotel?

Norway
Level Contributor
11 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Brisb to Sydney year end - need to book hotel?

We're flying to Brisbane 20th of December and plan to drive down to Sydney for New Year Eve. I would prefer to just arrive there and plan our route as we go, but someone told me that the hotels get full at this time, and that we have to pre-book. Anyone here that have done this trip without pre-booking hotels?

Know we will have a few days in Brisbane and a few days in Surfers Paradise, but not sure how many.

(Have booked hotel for Sydney NY)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,922 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Brisb to Sydney year end - need to book hotel?

If you're referring to hotels for the major cities, as in Brisbane and Gold Coast, definitely book in advance.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Brisb to Sydney year end - need to book hotel?

Christmas to New Year are peak holiday periods in Australia ... it's the beginning of our summer school break and this part of the year is a huge holiday time for most Australians. Many businesses close down for the week and it's just busy everywhere ... you will probably get accommodation but it will be expensive and not much to choose from.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Brisb to Sydney year end - need to book hotel?

And the roads will be VERY busy, not a time I would like to be taking a long-distance drive, especially not knowing if I was going to be able to find accommodation at the end of a tiring day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,226 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Brisb to Sydney year end - need to book hotel?

If you will use the coastal Pacific Highway, it will be essential to book ahead. All the coastal towns are very busy in late December, and are likely to have all accommodation booked.

If you use the inland New England Highway, you might manage to find available accommodation.

5. Re: Driving from Brisb to Sydney year end - need to book hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:18