We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would we regret missing Noosa and Sunshine Coast?

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Would we regret missing Noosa and Sunshine Coast?

Hi there,

Sorry, posting on a few different forums to get advice about specific legs of our trip. Planning to travel to Australia from Canada for 4 weeks in Feb 08. First leg of trip we plan to spend 5 nights in Cairns, then fly to Brisbane. We'll rent a car for sure but should we head north to Noosa and Sunshine Coast before heading south towards Sydney? How much time should we spend getting down to Sydney? Have read Ellemay's (is it called a "Go List"?) about driving from Brisbane to Sydney. Having a hard time picking three overnight places for pitstops. Probably two nights Coolangatta but where should the other two stops be? Would like to take about 5 days getting down there. Will we regret missing Noosa and Sunshine Couse if we start heading directly south from Brisbane? Would we regret missing Moreton Island? Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks in advance!!

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Would we regret missing Noosa and Sunshine Coast?

Should have stayed in bed this morning.......... : P

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Would we regret missing Noosa and Sunshine Coast?

Hey firebucket, you making me see double here,,, make that triple and more

:)

Sydney
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Would we regret missing Noosa and Sunshine Coast?

I see that you intend to be in Sydney for a few weeks. On the drive down from Brisbane, someone suggested your stay in Newcastle. If your drive for another hour south you could think about staying in the Hunter Valley region for a couple of nights. The Hunter is a wine district and even if you are not wine drinkers there is lots to do. It will be veru busy in February so you would have to book head. I have stayed at the Hunter Valley Resort, which has its own brewery which produces a beer under the name of Blue Tongue. You also have a couple of cheese tasting shops and chocolate tasting shops. There is also the Hunter Valley garderns which nice to wander around. The Hunter Region is only two hours from Sydney, if you stay on your way down it would save back tracking while in Sydney.

The Hunter is a romantic place. Lots of people from Sydney have their weddings in the area and all the guests make a weekend of it.

Brisbane
14 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Would we regret missing Noosa and Sunshine Coast?

I am going to buck the trend here and argue against the Sunshine Coast unless you want to definately see Australia Zoo.

The SC is great (our favourite holiday spot) but you will be seeing a LOT of beach from the Gold Coast & Points south.

Moreton is also one of my favourite spots on the planet, but accommodation is expensive and poor unless you can hire one of the new houses up on the hill. I would be inclined to do a day trip based out of Brisbane, take a beach drive, chuck a fish at a dolphin & then get out of dodge.

One of the best parts of the Gold Coast is leaving it - the hinterland is wonderful. You can go from beach to rainforest and back again in a few hours. I would do at least one long day drive from the Coast and then head south, perhaps finishing the day at one of the small towns below the coast. Kingscliffe is sleepy, Byron is Trendy & Pretentious (my opinion - but is always a lot happening). Lennox heads, the next town down is a nice little town, too close to the Gold Coast to be a day destination but at the end of the hinterland drive would be nice. Nice restraunt there overlooking the ocean on the road north. (Cant remember name, sorry).

From there stick to the coast to at least Urunga. From there, if you are getting a little sick of the beach you could head west to tenterfield and then go south along the New England Hwy down to Sydney. This gives you a good sample of regional NSW (not outback by any means) that is not on the usual tourist agenda. One word of caution - February can be bloody hot, and you may find once you get inland you stop enjoying the drive. There is not a great deal by way of "destinations" along there but I have always enjoyed it.

Dont miss the blue mountains just out of Sydney. Grand Canyon walk highly recommended.

Is a great time, you will love it.

25. Re: Would we regret missing Noosa and Sunshine Coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 14:20