We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Brisbane to Gold Coast by taxi/mini-van

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Brisbane to Gold Coast by taxi/mini-van

I'm planning to go to Gold Coast for the first time and have just checked out the flights out from Singapore. I realise that I have to wait 5 hours in transit at Sydney (at 5am!) before catching the next flight to Gold Coast!! Not a very good idea with 2 young kids in tow!

If I fly to Brisbane, the transit (2hrs) is more manageable. However, that means I have to find my way to Surfers' Paradise, Gold Coast on my own. I can't seem to find any info on that. Most grateful if anyone can help!!!

I'll be travelling with my hubby and 2 young kids. Transport that is clean, comfortable and fast is be most ideal.

Is this idea of flying to Brisbane then travel by road to Gold Coast a better idea? Or should I just fly straight to Gold Coast and suffer the transit at Sydney or Melbourne? I'm totally clueless about the all airports I'll be going through. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Brisbane to Gold Coast by taxi/mini-van

With two young kids, I would minimise flights and flight times. Fly to Brisbane and then take a coach from Brisbane airport to the Gold Coast. If budget allows book a limousine for the trip.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
515 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Brisbane to Gold Coast by taxi/mini-van

Depending on day of the week, you should be able to get an earlier flight to Gold Coast from Sydney than 10am (I'm assuming 5 hrs from a 5 am arrival). Airlines to Google are Qantas, Virgin Blue & Jetstar. I just looked at Virgin Blue & there are flights Sydney-Gold Coast every day at 7.05am and 9.05am.

There is a train which take you to Gold Coast direct from Brisbane Airport, but stops well short of Surfers/Broadbeach. (Government sold the right-of-way for the railway in the 60s - seemed like a good idea at the time..) But taxi or local bus from there would be feasible.

Gold Coast is a long skinny city hugging the coast. Surfers/Breadbeach is at the northern end. The airport for Gold Coast is Coolangatta at southern end is about 15-20 km from Broadbeach.

Best (fastest) roads loop behind the city & back in.

Hiring a car is my preferred option when I go to Brisbane & Gold Coast (but I grew up there, so I'm not impartial). It gives me a lot more options for day trips etc. Traffic in Gold Coast City looks similar to Singapore (I've never driven there, but use taxis) & once out of the major built up areas is much less.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
515 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Brisbane to Gold Coast by taxi/mini-van

Forgot to mention - there are direct flights Singapore - Brisbane.

Another option to consider.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Brisbane to Gold Coast by taxi/mini-van

Thanks very much for your replies!

I've managed to book a direct flight to Brisbane - touching down Sunday morning and leaving the following Sunday afternoon. Whee!!

A friend of mine told me that 7 days in Gold Coast alone may be too much as the weather now is too cool for beach activities. So I'm thinking of staying at Brisbane for a night then head up towards Noosa & Sunshine Coast for a couple of nights before heading down to Gold Coast for the rest of the trip.

What are the must-dos and must-sees at Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Noosa? Are the Eumundi Markets worth the drive out for? Suggestions on accommodation and places to eat will also be highly appreciated! Thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Brisbane to Gold Coast by taxi/mini-van

Yes the Eumundi markets are worth a visit, if you like art and craft and a good atmosphers. So far this May we are experiencing one of the warmest May's on record. With temperatures of 30C on the north coast on the weekend, swimming was very pleasant.

6. Re: How to get from Brisbane to Gold Coast by taxi/mini-van

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 00:16