We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

things to do in brisbane

london
Level Contributor
318 posts
Save Topic
things to do in brisbane

hi

can anyone suggest things to do in brisbane

we are there 4 days and so far want to spend 1 day at australia zoo and want to also visit koala park ( tho heard this is more a half day trip)

and ideas to fill the 2 and half days left?

Thanks

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: things to do in brisbane

We spent about 10 days in Brisbane and did the things you suggested. We also spent a couple of days just walking around the city. Walk down by the river and see the mangroves. The wooden walkways take you right into the heart of it. Also take a wander through the Botanic Gardens. A walk along South Bank and the streets nearby offers some neat boutiques. Depending on the time of year, South Bank also offers some neat flora covered walkways and interesting birds wandering around.

There's always the bridge climb, but we didn't do that as we did the one in Sydney instead.

We also really enjoyed the Museum of Contemporary Art. Free admission and some really awesome art and displays.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: things to do in brisbane

Great advice above.

Brisbane is a great city to live in and many tourists i have spoken to say they would also like to live here. Clean and green, friendly people they have said...

There is much to do and see depending on what you like doing. Perhaps 4 days could be a bit long.

1 day Brisbane city and southbank. 1/2 day Lone Pine, 1/2 day Mt Cootha. If you are into arts, shopping, restaurants etc, yes leave it at 4 days.

Why don't you stay a night or two at Caloundra or Mooloolaba on the Sunshine Coast which is closer to Australia Zoo? Both are good locatons by the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Caloundra
Caloundra
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Mooloolaba
Mooloolaba
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Australia Zoo
Australia Zoo
4,090 Reviews
Beerwah, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: things to do in brisbane

the koala park is called Lone Pine Sanctuary.

see :www.koala.net

see also

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g255068-Activiti…

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: things to do in brisbane

Hi cj,

This was a good thread as well

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255068-i461-k1908…

regards

Oscar

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: things to do in brisbane

If it's nice weather, get a picnic basket and head for the Roma St parklands.

Southbank has loads of places to see and eat, there's markets there on the weekend as well. Southbank also has a big ferris wheel (like a smaller version of the London Eye) where you can get a great view of the city and surrounds.

The Museum of Brisbane at City Hall. You can also go up into the clock tower:

http://www.museumofbrisbane.com.au/

Newstead House if you're interested in the old colonial architecture and design:

http://www.newsteadhouse.com.au/

Don't forget to have a ride on a City-Cat as well. It's a great way to get around. :)

Mentioned in this post
Museum of Brisbane
Museum of Brisbane
998 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
Noosa, QLD...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: things to do in brisbane

the best thing to do in brisbane.....

is to stay for a day and then get up to the sunshine coast! 4 days in brisbane would send me crazy. australia's most boring metropolis.

i live in noosa so i am probably a tad biased! but in all seriousness when you come to visit australia zoo (which is on the sunshine coast anyway), stay a night or two in places like noosa, coolum or mooloolaba.

free buses go from australia zoo to these places, so maybe you could get on one at the end of your day at the zoo?

hope this helps!

x

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: things to do in brisbane

So is it worth going to the Lone Pine? Please let me know as I don't want to fly to Brisbane for this and be disappointed. After the Lone Pine, what else is there to do for a mid to late 20's married couple?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Aussie
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: things to do in brisbane

Alma Park Zoo is about 30 min out of Brisbane or do the Story Bridge Climb. A day trip to Gold Coast is possible, or out through the country parts of the Sunshine Coast such as Maleny. South Bank is definitely a great place to wander along the banks of the river. Head up to the Big Pineapple in Sunshine coast that agaon could be made into a day trip - would take about hour and a half from Brisbane to drive - just a bit further up to Australia Zoo.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Story Bridge
Story Bridge
850 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Maleny
Maleny
The Big Pineapple
The Big Pineapple
410 Reviews
Nambour, Australia
Australia Zoo
Australia Zoo
4,090 Reviews
Beerwah, Australia
Aussie
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: things to do in brisbane

Alma Park Zoo is about 30 min out of Brisbane or do the Story Bridge Climb. A day trip to Gold Coast is possible, or out through the country parts of the Sunshine Coast such as Maleny. South Bank is definitely a great place to wander along the banks of the river. Head up to the Big Pineapple in Sunshine coast that agaon could be made into a day trip - would take about hour and a half from Brisbane to drive - just a bit further up to Australia Zoo.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Story Bridge
Story Bridge
850 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Maleny
Maleny
The Big Pineapple
The Big Pineapple
410 Reviews
Nambour, Australia
Australia Zoo
Australia Zoo
4,090 Reviews
Beerwah, Australia
The Sunshine State
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: things to do in brisbane

Alright this is my opinion on things to do..

out of the zoos in/around brisbane, Australia Zoo is your best bet, its approx 45 mins from brisbane, easy to catch a tour bus or train up there. Lone pine (the koala park) I personally wouldn't bother going to, Australia zoo pretty much covers what your going to see there..

You could try the science centre and museum which are located at southbank. Museum is free, science centre is about 15$. Its aimed at at younger people/teenagers, however I'm 21 and i still have fun going there!

Depending on what days your here you could also try the Southbank Markets, or the Riverside Markets, which are both located in the city centre.

I agree with an above post, if you were going to go to the Aus Zoo, I would at least spend a night up the coast, enjoying the beach etc, since your up there.

If you happen to go to sydney, head to the Taronga Zoo, hands down the best zoo i've been to so far. Cannot be compared to the ones in brissy (in my opinion).

Hope you enjoy your holiday! :)

Mentioned in this post
Australia Zoo
Australia Zoo
4,090 Reviews
Beerwah, Australia