We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty Free options on arrival at Brisbane Int'l airport?

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Duty Free options on arrival at Brisbane Int'l airport?

Am I better of buying Duty Free alcohol on arrival at BNE rather than at Changi Airport where I will be flying from? Friends have warned me of risk of having my DF confiscated? I'm not sure why this would be?

If I buy on landing at BNE Int'l, I then have an onward flight to Bundaberg from Domestic airport - would I be allowed to bring my Duty Free as hand baggage?

I am confused as to why I can't just purchase my allowance when departing from Singapore.

All advice gratefully received!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty Free options on arrival at Brisbane Int'l airport?

You can - and Changi has some of the best Duty free in the world. If you buy it on arrival in Brisbane you will be stuck in the back of the queue at Immigration, which could prove time consuming.

Your friends are probably thinking of the new liquid restrictions when flying. There are exeptions for Duty Free liquor - dont understand it myself, but we flew in with Champers recently and the Domestic people happily let us take it on our internal flight.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty Free options on arrival at Brisbane Int'l airport?

I'm confused as to why you'd have your duty free confiscated. I've frequently bought duty free when passing through from London and it's never been taken off me.

You can get stuck in long customs/immigration queues at Brisbane airport if you pause to buy duty free on the way in. How much time do you have between your international arrival and domestic departure.

I'd be inclined to buy your duty free at Changi, then you don't have to worry about it.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty Free options on arrival at Brisbane Int'l airport?

there are some specific rules for duty free in singapore.

changiairport.com/changiweb/export/sites/cha…

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty Free options on arrival at Brisbane Int'l airport?

My understanding is that you can buy duty free in Changi and take it on board BUT otherwise they won't let you board with more than 100 ml. So if you buy duty free alcohol before arriving in Singapore and take it off the plane into the transit area, they won't let you bring it back on the plane. When I was last in Singapore (a few months back, admittedly) they were ruthless in enforcing this rule!

And as already mentioned, the no-liquids rule seems not to apply on Australian domestic flights - we recently had no problem with water!

-- G

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty Free options on arrival at Brisbane Int'l airport?

Thank you all.. seems its OK to buy in Changi and bring it through to Brisbane -if need I buy I can put in my checked in baggage from Brisbane to Bundaberg.

6. Re: Duty Free options on arrival at Brisbane Int'l airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 22:16