We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Ship Docking

Queensland...
Level Contributor
470 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Ship Docking

Hi, my parents are arriving tomorrow on a cruise ship which is docking at Fisherman Island Grain. We had been assuming it would dock at Portside and we would meet them there. But now where is a good place to meet them? Is it possible to drive to Fisherman Island grain or is there public transport there?

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Ship Docking

Hi KiwiGirl,

You'll need to go down Port Drive off Lytton Rd at Lytton. In otherwords yo need to be on the Southside of the Gateway Bridge.

Oscar

Queensland...
Level Contributor
470 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Ship Docking

Thanks, what would be the nicest and nearest area to here to take them out for lunch?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Ship Docking

If you're out at Lytton then I'd say come back into Oxford St at Bulimba for a nice place to have lunch.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Ship Docking

How bizarre !

My parents are arriving on, I assume, the same ship and we have the same dilemma. There is already another ship berthed at Portside which can only take one at a time so we too have to go and collect them from Fishermans & find somewhere for lunch.

I've been scratching my head all day. The most logical place is the Wynnum/manly cafes & restaurants - although my parents have been there several times recently so not ideal for us.

I am thinking of driving a bit further and perhaps going to Cleveland ( The Lighthouse is excellent these days) or Sirromet Winery - one of the best places in Brisbane but difficult to get a booking.Otherwise drive back over the Gateway and go to Portside ( and look at the other ship), or head in towards town and then maybe Bulimba would be an option.

There is also the Royal Mail Hotel at Tingalpa, which has had a huge refurb.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
470 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Ship Docking

Wow, what a coincidence! And what a nusiance that it is not docking at Portside! We are actually driving down from Toowoomba with two kids in tow so we don't really want to then be driving all over Brisbane to find somewhere nice to eat! The kids will be over it by the time we meet the boat. So would Wynnum/Manly be the easiest? I like the sounds of Bulimba but I don't know this area of Brisbane at all well (more used to being on the city or north side) so would it be easy to get to?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise Ship Docking

The Wynnum/Manly area is only a ten minutes drive and is on the waterfront with a HUGE play area for kids so it may be better for you. Perhaps just get fish & chips from across the road and head to the park?

Or there are quite a few good places a bit further along the Esplanade near the Marina.

Heres a couple of links :

http://fishcafe.com.au/home.htm

www.wilsonsboathouse.com.au/man_venue.html

I'm thinking we will go to Portside regardless. We live near Bulimba ( have eaten there twice this week) and need a change of scenery.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise Ship Docking

So you folks are going around Australia ?

Queensland...
Level Contributor
470 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise Ship Docking

Yes, they are going right round Aussie. They were greatly looking forward to it. Are your folks regular crusiers? Mine have been on a couple before but mainly in Europe.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise Ship Docking

They did the Fire & Ice cruise (Canada,Alaska,Hawaii) last year - so it looks like the are now hooked.

We just returned from a beautiful lunch at Sirromet Winery. With Cylone Hamish intensifying we may see a bit more of the folks in the next day or two !

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise Ship Docking

Just for anyone that may be watching this thread and for future reference.

A few minutes drive from the Grain Terminal is the Ecco Cafe ( casual) and On the Lake (a la carte) both serving very nice meals overlooking the lake.

Not opened on Saturdays though.

Get answers to your questions about Brisbane