We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK to Brisbane - money advice

glos
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
UK to Brisbane - money advice

Hi, travelling to Oz for first time in August so have been keeping an eye on currency exchange rates, the best rate to buy today is £1 = $1.99 aud which isnt great.need a little TA advice. Should I take AUD$ with me at current rate or travellers cheques or just use credit card and take a little cash. What have others done to get the best deal on the rubbish GBP£ ?

Many thanks :o)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK to Brisbane - money advice

forget travellers cheques. a couple of credit cards and your atm card will do. also it's handy just to have a small starter pack of local currency for arrival so u dont have to go chasing around. also check on your bank's charges for card use overseas.

i think uk people have recommemded a nationwide card (?) for low or nil charge foreign transactions.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK to Brisbane - money advice

and btw we in aus travelling to the uk think the Fx is just great!!!!! ;-)

well, in comparison to what it has been over the years.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,811 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK to Brisbane - money advice

Don't bring travellers' cheques: you would have to use a bank to change them, incurring a substantial fee.

The best way is to bring a debit card and get cash out of ATMs. Many places will not take a card for small purchases (under $5). Bring a bit of cash so you don't have to look for an ATM as soon as you get off the plane.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK to Brisbane - money advice

Travellers cheques actually become quite annoying to travel with. I always aim to take a small amount of currency with me (enough to cover transport from airport when I arrive plus a meal), then I rely on my debit card and/or credit cards to pay for things along the way.

There is an abundance of ATMs in Australia's cities so you will be able to access your money. Of course, if you're going further afield and off the beaten track for extended lengths of time then definitely ensure you visit the ATM before you go and take out enough $ to cover you.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
48 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK to Brisbane - money advice

I took £500 in MArch which was $1000 in cash and then applied for a Nationwide Flex Debit account which you can use abroad to withdraw money free of charge and put £1500 in there and withdrew when needed with no charge which was brilliant. Not sure if there still doing that account but its definately worth a look. I also found I got a better exchange rate on that than the high street travel agents. Hope this is of help to you. Jane

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK to Brisbane - money advice

Unfortunately it seems Nationwide have been feeling the pinch too and are now passing on the Visa charge to customers using their cards outside the Eurozone.

Still a good deal as Nationwide don´t charge you any commission or exchange fee, just not quite asgood as it used to be.

I believe you can still get a basic cash card account though. You´ll still be able to withdraw money at any atm, but not be able to use for purchases and may not be able to get aCredit Card with this account. I'd suggest going in and talking to them.

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK to Brisbane - money advice

we went in Nov and took USD cash.

Credit Cards - Nationwide is now slapping on 1% charge from 1 July 2009 but you can still get free rates (if you know what I mean!) with Abbey Zero or Post Office which ae the only 2 that does this from the UK. Def worth it but always ask to pay in USD on the card and not Sterling.

have a great time, Brisbane is truly fantastic!

....activegirl

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK to Brisbane - money advice

"we went in Nov and took USD cash"

why did you bring USD??

glos
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK to Brisbane - money advice

Thank you Trip advisors once again a bounty of good advice - much appreciated :o)

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK to Brisbane - money advice

LOL sorry guys! We took Aus dollars (I was thinking in Makdived mode!)

..... Activegirl