We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New National Park on our doorstep

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
New National Park on our doorstep

One of south east Queensland’s most scenic national forest parks has expanded to take in bushland areas around Mt Glorious, Mt Mee, D’Aguilar and north Brisbane.

The D’Aguilar National Park is almost 16 times its previous size after details of its new boundaries were unveiled to mark World Environment Day on 5 June.

The National Park now absorbs large areas of the former Brisbane Forest Park to become Australia’s largest national park near a state capital city.

The protected green area covers the D’Aguilar Range from Brisbane city to Mt Mee.

Climate Change and Sustainability Minister Kate Jones announced the expansion of the national park at a special ceremony at The Gap last week.

“D’Aguilar has been one of Brisbane’s most popular national parks – now it’s Australia’s largest within 20 kilometres of a capital CBD,” Ms Jones said.

“The State Government has added areas in Enoggera, Mt Glorious, D’Aguilar and Mt Mee Forest Reserves to D’Aguilar National Park.

“It’s expanded from 2400 to a massive 38,000 hectares – growing more than 15 times its size.

“It now covers an area more than 170 Brisbane CBDs.”

Member for Glass House Andrew Powell said the expanded national park would provide “permanent protection for the vegetation, fauna and flora, as well as a wide range of activities for locals”.

He said the area formed a significant wildlife corridor that is home to a diverse range of fauna and flora, including the giant barred frog, koalas, and over 800 plant species.

Ken Murphy also attended the launch event on behalf of the Jinibara People, the traditional owners of the land.

Ms Jones said the State Government was “80 per cent of the way” to converting 425,000 hectares of state forests in south-east Queensland to national park or conservation parks.

National parks near Bundaberg and Gympie have also been expanded, and new conservation parks created at Moggill, Nerang, as well as the 624-hectare Samford Forest Reserve.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New National Park on our doorstep

Wow, Surfoz, thanks for the info. This is great news. It's certainly somewhere that we love to walk.

I once did a guided off-trail walk through EPA's Go Bush program (now called Connect with Nature) in the Mt Mee section and it was truly one of the most spectacular walks I've ever done. Flowering rock orchids, dense bracken fern, huge trees and a lovely view over the dams from the top of the mountain. Really, what's a steep uphill walk when there's all that to see?! ;-)

And the link: …qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/…

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New National Park on our doorstep

Sounds lovely Surfoz and Templc.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New National Park on our doorstep

I always feel blessed when I take visitors into the park, they are so amazed at the natural beauty, birdlife, the rainforest and the country charm....just 20 klms from Brisbane CBD...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New National Park on our doorstep

Wow thats great !

Where is all the press converage ?? They should be shouting from the rafters ! ( and it all happened 6 weeks ago ??)

I feel a hike coming on...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New National Park on our doorstep

Wow, another National Park...do we really need another one ?

EM ☺

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New National Park on our doorstep

Great news!..... I think..

..I think we are a very long way from not needing more national parks... though the balance between sustainably managed forest reserves and locked up national parks is a very complicated issue.

Someone was telling me that so much of the national forests have been turned into national parks that the forests that remain have to be logged every 10 years instead of say every 40 years or more and that therefore there's a bigger impact on that forest environment. It's certainly a complicated issue.

Perhaps we just need a total rethink to how we handle such things. In some communities in New Guinea they just take a very limited number of trees per hectare and then don't touch it for ages so you have both old growth and a working forest together. The local villagers harvest the carefully by hand, mill it themselves and have an income from sustainably managing their forest.

.. of course there are many eco systems not represented in the national parks system at all and only a tiny percentage of land is in parks. It's just what they choose to turn into a park that's an issue for discussion IMHO.

I'm very happy the govt is buying up some water hungry western irrigators to turn them into national parks - rehab required no doubt. I will be making a point of visiting such parks and spending my dollars in the nearby communities as loss of the farms also has an economic downside for the local towns...

.. and she steps off the hobby horse..

:o)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,200 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New National Park on our doorstep

I'm all in favour of increasing the national park zoning...

they took a huge chunk near us and changed it from state conservation area to National park..in the intevening years the native birdlife and wildlife has returned as introduced weeds etc were eradicated thanks to the work of volunteers and we have much more entertaining visitors in our backyard

National parks also liase with a number of recreational interest groups..4WD, Mountain Bike and horseriding fraternities to name a few so increasing the area can be of benefit to the wider community..nonj national park areas are subject to the whims of councils and developers who can quickly see the $ value rather than anything else

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New National Park on our doorstep

Guruswife reminded me of another good point about the new D'Aguilar NP, there are some really good 4WD trails through the forest. It makes for an interesting day out sharpening your dirt/mud driving skills.

One trail in particular goes to a lovely waterhole called Diana's Bath.

This does beg the question from me though, parts of the bordering land were resumed by Powerlink for future consideration of a hydro-electric project. Very curious to know where that project stands...

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New National Park on our doorstep

Yes Ellemay, absolutely we do! Australia is beautiful and should be kept so IMHO.

We need to protect our natural heritage not only for the generations to follow after us but also to attract those eco tourists who travel all over the world just to see things that many of us aussies just take for granted on a daily basis.

A quick look at this morning's headlines in Brisbane reveals that koalas will be wiped out within 2 years in South East Qld, think that sounds over the top, think again. As more people move to SEQ, the demands increase for more housing, more development, more roads and highways that cut through natural bushland.

This is happening in my suburb, a declared koala corridor has been decimated by the developers all for housing and roads... so yes the koalas, wallabies and foxes that I used to see in the bush, I now see dead on the road and that makes me very sad!

Farcical road sign near my house says " Beware Koalas live here".......but all the bush has been cleared for development.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New National Park on our doorstep

Dead right Surfoz !

Despite the fact that housing developments are almost at a standstill at present ( the naughty banks wont lend them the money) its only a matter of time before many more of our green pockets disappear to cater to our growing population. A lot more consideration needs to be put into how this is done - and where.

Areas like Mt.Mee, Mt.Glorious, Moggill and Samford are iconic local greenbelts and beautiful local retreats and they need to be preserved and protected, as does the wildlife they sustain.

Good to see the current Government got something right. Now then there's the 'Marine' parks......