We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moreton Island or Frazer

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Moreton Island or Frazer

Thinking of splitting my Five nights in Brisbane.

Three days in Brisbane and I cant decide if I should drive up to Hervey bay and stay so I can nip over to Frazer island, or Do the shorter trip to Moreton, any suggestions.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moreton Island or Frazer

Fraser is better imho. You can do Fraser trips from Noosa on the Sunshine Coast which go up the beach. Then you could kill two birds, Fraser and the SC. Minimise time in Brisvegas - just another sweet city.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moreton Island or Frazer

Both islands are beautiful and offer unique experiences. If you decide on Fraser allow a few days.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moreton Island or Frazer

I love both islands. They both have a lot to offer and they are quite different from each other. But with only five days in the area, and only two days for an island I'd go for Moreton Island. It's so easy to get to from Brisbane. Fraser, on the other hand, is a four-hour drive so just with the getting to/from you've lost a day.

Moreton has pretty lakes and walks, sand toboganning, dolphin feeding, kayaking, jetskiing, 4WD tours, fishing and depending on what time of year you're planning to visit, whale watching.

…qld.gov.au/parks_and_forests/parks/moreton_…

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moreton Island or Frazer

Would a stay in Noosa be a good base to see both of above?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moreton Island or Frazer

Noosa is better for Fraser, definitely, only two hours away. But for Moreton you really need to be staying in Brisbane. The Tangalooma Flyer leaves at 7:30am or 10:00am. Or if you're taking over a 4WD and need the Mi-Cat vehicle barge it's 8:30am departure.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moreton Island or Frazer

Agree with temple on Moreton being the go if you have limited time.

And it's quite diverse in activities with snorkelling possible about shipwrecks put there to create a reef environment, and you still have sand dunes and even some rain forest, perhaps fit in a whale watch cruise.

And staying overnight is not too pricey, often some good specials advertised.

Fraser is great too, but really needs a few days there to camp, do walks, get up to Indian Head, Champagne Rock pools etc. to appreciate it, and though you can swim in lakes and streams, that water is extra icy.

A day tour can give you a reasonable look about but like all tours there's a lot of passive sit in vehicle time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,949 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moreton Island or Frazer

I love both too...however given your time in Brisbane I would opt for 2 days on Moreton island. Hire a 4WD from the resort and have some fun !

see review for some tips.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g662671-d257…

EM.

8. Re: Moreton Island or Frazer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2010, 06:37