We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highlights of My Trip to Brisbane

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut
Level Contributor
50 posts
448 reviews
Save Topic
Highlights of My Trip to Brisbane

I just returned from three weeks in Australia and I used the information gleaned from this Forum for much of my trip. I wanted to report back some quick impressions:

1. Definitely visit the Lone Pine Sanctuary. For a little extra you can hold a koala (the highlight of my entire trip!). There is also a kangaroo enclosure, quite large, where you can pet a kangaroo, feed a kangaroo, take your picture with them, and just observe. I would highly recommend taking the Koala Cruise up the Brisbane River to the Sanctuary for a number of reasons (the cruise leaves at 10 am every day and the dock is on South Bank between the Victoria Bridge and the State Library). First, on a beautiful day it is very relaxing. Second, there is a pre-recorded narration that provides highlights of Brisbane history which is very informative and humorous. Lastly, the views of the homes are quite impressive. By taking the boat you only have a couple of hours to tour the facility, but my friend and I found that to be plenty of time. It is not a huge place. Lone Pine was the highlight of my trip.

2. Rent a bicycle to ride along the Brisbane River. You can ride for many kilometers.

3. Walk along the river and have a drink, lunch, or dinner (which can be a bit expensive) along the river. Great views of the water, the ferry and water taxis going by and, especially, people watching.

4. Moreton Island is a great get-a-way. I signed on with Seatours which offered a “tour” of the island. That is what I got—a tour. Moreton Island is the second largest sand island in the world which means when you transverse the island you do so in a four wheel drive which is extremely bumpy. Since it was a tour you didn’t stop very long at any one place. At one point, at the Blue Lagoon (more of a muddied lake), I went over to the ocean side. Absolutely beautiful. Sandy beaches for as far as the eye could see. Almost no one there except the occasional four wheel drive whizzing by (this was some distance from the ferry drop). I just wanted to spend the day right there. When I went back to our temporary resting place I asked one of the guides if we were going to spend time on the ocean side. His quick reply – “No. Not on the tour.” So, if you might be planning to go to Moreton Island I would recommend an operator that will take you over in order to hang out on the beach. The tour was not worth it.

5. A word of warning, which has been echoed before on some of the Australian city forums – Be aware that taxi drivers might not know where they are going. They rely so heavily on their GPS. When I was leaving Brisbane I had to take a taxi to the bus terminal because of my luggage. The driver started in the right direction, but then missed a turnoff because his GPS had not indicated it even though if his eyes were on the road it was very obvious where to turn. So, he had to make a huge u-turn (courtesy of his GPS) to get there which upped my fare by a few dollars.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highlights of My Trip to Brisbane

Great report W,

I used to cycle along the river several times a week and never got sick of it as it is a good way to see parts of Brisbane you may not normally see. There is an ever increasing amount of bikeways skirting the city.

Unfortunately I think the advent of the GPS has made it easier for new settlers of any city in the world to hop behind the wheel of a taxi and press a few buttons in the hope of getting their custmers where they want to go.

Thanks for the report

Oscar

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highlights of My Trip to Brisbane

Thanks very much for the report, W-Hartford_CT. :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highlights of My Trip to Brisbane

great feedback WH_CT ...

lol, we have a relative here from Oregon and are off to Lone Pine tomorrow and Moreton on Saturday ;-)

Yes the beach side of Moreton is beautiful but I guess as it a dangerous beach for swimming and there is no development few tour operators are willing to invest much time there.

Next time you need to go to 'Straddie' where the beachside is easily accessible and even more fabulous :))

cheers

4. Re: Highlights of My Trip to Brisbane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2010, 07:17