We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane GoCard help please

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Brisbane GoCard help please

After 2 days of studying the BNE Transp. system, I cam to a conclusion that a Gocard might be useful, but still have a few questions.

1. Can one buy it at BNE Domestic (or lnternational) Airport?

I'll be flying in with Jetstar, so Domestic Terminal would be better, but would consider getting to Intnl if available. Cannot find this on website.

2. Do you have to have the Zone Map with you all the time, so that you would know when to "top it up?""

3. How do you know how much money is on it? Do you have to keep a Tab on it, or is there some electronic scanning system that will tell you.

4. Referred to 3; Let's say I had enlough money when touch on - while boarding, but not enough (overshot by 1 zone, etc.) on leaving? What happens then?

Isn't there some simple system of a day Pass?

I know you will lough at my q.'s but evben several Ph.D.'s incl. my hubby cannot figure this out....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brisbane GoCard help please

You can top up a go card at the airport but you cant buy one. Wait until you get into the city or wherever you are staying ( Paddington ?)

You can organise 'auto' top up if you are worried about running out of credit.

See this site for further info which should answer all your questions ;-

http://www.translink.com.au/go.php

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brisbane GoCard help please

Thanks, I have gone over the link(s), before. If I can't get it at the airport, it really does not seem worthy, just to use it to Koala Lone Pine Sanctuary & back, _ twice from Milton Stn to

Center & back; I will not be going to the airport this time; friends are hiring car to take us to Noosa, then another car to the airport....

Or do you think it's worth it for our trips? Thanks for your prompt reply.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brisbane GoCard help please

personally I wouldnt bother - your overall costs saving might be a dollar or two.

tbh I often question whether many tourists need one. Most people stay in or near the CBD/Southbank area where many attractions are walkable and/or serviced by the ferries, which have reasonable rates and ticket machines or attendants.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brisbane GoCard help please

Until you can buy them from the airport, I wouldn't bother. There's been a bit of a kerfuffle about the low amount of places selling the go card, so perhaps they will start selling them at the airport soon.

If anyone else is searching this thread, here are the answers to your other questions:

2. No, when you tag on and off the screen will tell you your available balance.

3. When you tag on, it will say: "Available balance: $14.50" or something like that. When you tag off, it says the fare (e.g., "Fare $2.50") and the available balance (e.g., "Available balance: $12.00").

If you have over $5 on your card when you tag on, the system shows a green light and beeps. If you have less than $5 on your card, the system beeps differently and display an orange light. If you have a negative balance on your card, you will get a red light and another different beep. If you are in negative territory on your card, you can be fined for not having a ticket. Best to pay in cash instead.

When you tag off, the same beeps and coloured lights apply. e.g, If you have $8.00 on your card, you'll get a green light when you tag on. If the fare is $4.00 you'll get a different beep and an orange light when you tag off, letting you know you should top up.

4. It works fine in that situation. You can go into negative territory when you tag off, you'll just need to top up the card before you get back on a bus/train.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brisbane GoCard help please

What a complicated system! I guess it's not meant for tourists & that's why it cannot be purchased at the airport. I hope the tickets can be bought from a machine. Do they have to be validated? I was concentrating so much on the gocard, I did not read more about this...

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brisbane GoCard help please

Not too difficult sophie,

I use it everyday as it is designed for regular users. I believe there are plans afoot for a tourist go card but it is only talk so far. The system is relatively new and I guess there are lots of bugs they need to iron out. However you can just by a ticket from the machines on the platform.

As 40ish has mentioned it is probably not worth your while as there is also $5 fee for the card.

www.translink.com.au/go.php

Oscar

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brisbane GoCard help please

Thanks Oscar, but do you validate the tkt?

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brisbane GoCard help please

No validation needed for the tickets. Just buy and get on the train. If a ticket inspector asks for it, just show it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Brisbane GoCard help please

How long are you going to be here? If it is just a short period of time, I will just avoid the buses with P during peak hours. I will either pay every time or to get a day ticket...

Note that unlike London, there is NO WAY (for visitor) to get the deposit back that I am aware - because you will have to mail the gocard along with a form to the head office, and then wait for days, and then receive a cheque in the mail...

Edited: 12 February 2010, 08:08
10. Re: Brisbane GoCard help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2010, 07:16