We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to visit?

essex
Level Contributor
53 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
When to visit?

We are planning a trip in 2011 flying to Sydney then after few days hiring car driving up to Brisbane then on to Cairns. We have approx three weeks. Is this practical? We are thinking June or October which is best?

Any advice welcome

cheers

malc

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to visit?

October is always lovely as the jacarandas are out in flower. You'll get some hot days as well. June is a lot cooler, but still temps will be in the low 20's.

More info here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255068-s208/Brisb…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to visit?

I would second October. In Brisbane the weather is georgous- you will enjoy swimming at the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast at this time of the year. June in Sydney esp can be cold.

Out of interest- can you turn your itinerary around? If you are coming in October I think Cairns would be better done earlier in the month than later- the closer it gets to November the hotter and more humid it gets. More chance too of the stingers not yet being an issue earlier in the month than later.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to visit?

Anytime other than Dec to march, we don't enjoy watching tourists dropping from heat. Is that three weeks in total in Australia or just for the Queensland leg? If that the whole trip, thats a heap of driving time! Think I would train up from Sydney and pick up a rental in Brisbane. I would allow plenty of time for our beautiful Sunshine coast too.

Monmouth Beach, New...
Level Contributor
467 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to visit?

We will be in Brisbane, flying in from Cairns on December 12th for 3-5 days.

Beach and city touring on bikes normally are our choice. A previous post

on this thread makes that plan sound like a poor one...How hot is hot??

Stan

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to visit?

In December the sun rises about 5:30am and sets by 6:30pm - so the day light is plenty. If your interested on seeing the sights on a bike, i suggest to start your day early as the max temperature for the day (usually 30degree C) can be reached as early at 10:45am. If your planning on cycling on the beach areas you'll be comforted by the ocean breezes (Gold Coast area) bringing the temperature down a couple of degrees compared to Brisbane (located slightly inland). Watch out for the sun, you'll get burnt within 15 minutes if you dont wear sunscreen!

Edited: 28 June 2010, 06:07
Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to visit?

Don't worry Stan, after being in Cairns in December you'll think Brisbane's temps are mild

Oscar

7. Re: When to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2010, 05:17