We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in Brisbane in September

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
6 days in Brisbane in September

HEY! Just planning my trip and want some input!

I will be in Brisbane 6 days and want to know what are the BEST things to do!

I am 26, female, love being out in nature, love animals, love art and music, love excitement but also love relaxing. Looking for things to do that I would never be able to see/do in Canada.

Also, looking for anyone who knows of really amazing live music venues (hip hop, folk, reggae would be great)

AND Any really amazing organic type cafes? AND any amazing vegetarian restos?

Thanks in advance!

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days in Brisbane in September

Hi westenda

Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary and the world famous Australia Zoo are a good start for any animal adventures in Brisbane. Brisbane also has some amazing gallery collections on show in the Cultural precinct at Southbank. September will be when the Valentino collection is in town at the Gallery of Modern Art.

Anywhere by the river is a great place to relax with dinner and a drink. One of my favourite places is the Powerhouse in New Farm, especially on a Sunday afternoon. Southbank and Eagle St pier are also good. Fortitude Valley and West End are the party centers of Brisbane and where you'll find loads of live music. There's a shop called Butter Beats which could tell you where all the good hip hop venues are.

There's a link in the top right hand corner for things to do in Brisbane, so take a look at that. I can't help out with the vegetarian restaurants, but the Gunshop Cafe in West End was voted Best Cafe in Australia by Delicious magazine for 2010. You'll tend to find organic and vegetarian things on most menus around town, but I'm not sure there's many places with that *only* on the menu.

Hope that helps! If you have any more specific Q's, let us know.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days in Brisbane in September

Try Mondo for the organic resto too:

mondo-organics.com.au/Restaurant-pg3363.html

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days in Brisbane in September

Hi Westender,

Your name fits in with the best place for in Brisbane for mix of everything, try West End, about 1 klm from the centre of Brisbane, for music, food and just some very alternative shopping, great organic and veg restaurants serving a variety of food. My daughter, in her early 20's loves it there. Try "The Valley" (suburb of Fortitude Valley) on the other side of the city, music venues galore there.

For your love of nature and animals take a day trip to Tangalooma Island, pristine blue waters, dolphins, snorkelling and whale watching. Or try North Stradbroke Island, it's whale watching season until September, it's a beautiful island too, and all within an hours trips from Brisbane.

have a look at www.ourbrisbane.com or www.visitbrisbane.com.au for more information. Hope you love it here, we do!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days in Brisbane in September

Hi Westenda,

Agreed with the others that the best place to find good vegetarian and organic foods is around the West End area :)

One fun thing you could do in Brisbane is the Story Bridge Climb....best at dusk or dawn, beautiful and a bit of a thrill!: http://www.storybridgeadventureclimb.com.au/

For live music, here is a link to the Brisbane gig guide: http://www.ourbrisbane.com/whats-on/gig-guide

We also have a new-ish attraction, the "Brisbane Eye", or "Wheel of Brisbane". It is located at Southbank and is one of the giant ferris wheel type things similar to the London Eye: ourbrisbane.com/see-and-do/…wheel-brisbane

and

visitsouthbank.com.au/attractions/wheel_of_b…

:)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days in Brisbane in September

Thank you all so much!!! Best answers! It seems that in most cities the West End is always the place that I like the best! haha strange... Same in my city of Vancouver, BC!

Thanks again, I am really excited for Brisbane! Been wanting to go forever!!! Cannot wait to meet all the aussies!!! WOOHOO!

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 days in Brisbane in September

Hi westenda,

FYI there is a bus service that operates 24 hours a day between Fortitude Valley and West End called the city glider. This will allow you to travel between the two areas with relative ease.

www.translink.com.au

Hope this helps

Oscar

Vancouver
Level Contributor
489 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 days in Brisbane in September

Thank you so much Oscar! That is amazing advice!!

8. Re: 6 days in Brisbane in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 04:35
Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 days in Brisbane in September

Hi, I'm also looking at Westend as I'm coming for a couple of days to see the Valentinos. Do you know of a reasonably priced place to stay that I can walk from over to the exhibition from? I looked at Kangaroo Point as being an easy walk around the river edge - is that possible?, but I also need to find cafes.

BTW, Is there any best time of the day to see the exhibition??

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
381 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6 days in Brisbane in September

Hi Sweetie,

How much were you looking to spend per night, and how many people will be staying?

You can certainly walk around to the GoMA from Kangaroo Point if you are feeling up to it, and it's a lovely walk. You could also stay somewhere closer, depends what your budget is really.

What were the exact dates you were coming? I would say if you can come mid-week you will avoid crowds at the gallery. Weekends can get very busy.

Cheers