We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

Canton, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

Me and my wife will be arriving in Brisbane Jan. 2-5. My plane actually leaves from Brisbane to the US on the 5th. I want to maximize my time in Brisbane, so I am seeking suggestions as what to do and what to see while there. We are flying in from Sydney, but I was considering changing my flight to fly into Cairns to do the SkyRail/Kuranda, the Great Barrier Reefs, and possibly some Outback. I really don't know what all is possible in this timeframe, so I am looking for suggestions. Is there enough to do in Brisbane to really get that nature experience or should I head north and just fly into Brisbane on the morning that I leave? Any vacation suggestions in Queensland would be appreciated.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

I will probably be lambasted by the BrisVegans but I'd probably hire a car and stay down on the coast .. noosa, or similar... perhaps drive down to byron bay. If you were in the country at any time OTHER than January I'd definitely recommend you hop on a plane and head to Cairns to see the reef but the weather at that time of year is very unpredictable in FNQ so you might be better advise to drive south to the Gold Coast/Byron Bay etc. for an overnight trip. You could head to the Australia Zoo and stay on the coast nearby.

If I only had three days I wouldn't spend it in Brisbane city... I'd be out in a car driving to see the coast.. but that's just my personal opinion. :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

I agree with the above post, I would definitely hire a car and drive up or down the coast, but I'd also recommend spending at least one day in Brisbane, going to the South Bank Cultural Centre and wandering around the city. Another alternative could be to go for a day trip to Stradbroke Island, catching the ferry from Cleveland.

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

Oh, I don't know. 3 days in Brisbane could be quite interesting.

It could be worse, you could be staying in Adelaide!

;-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

Agree - you can actually see some extraordinary sights in and around Brisbane and many will be less crowded and less expensive than more obvious tourist places like Cairns.

ie. If you drive to Mt.Mee forest ( about 1 hour north of Brisbane city) you will see rainforest and waterfalls that will rival any you will see up north .

There are islands on Brisbanes doorstep with some of the best beaches in the world - heavily populated by kangaroos, koalas, dolphins and dugongs. And the beach cities of the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast are less then an hour away.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255068-c114653/Brisb…

Edited: 25 August 2010, 03:27
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

You really don't have much time, no matter what you plan on doing.

Brisbane has fantastic natural surrounds and if you are into nature you will love it. Be prepared though, it will be hot and humid and the locals tend to hit the beaches. Have a look for day trips to O'Reillys in Lamington National Park or half day trips into Brisbane Forest Park.

If you decide to fly to Cairns just be aware that you have additional flying time which may cut into your limited time. Ok I'm sure you are aware of that, but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Both areas are beautiful and I am a big fan of the Skyrail in any weather conditions. The Great Barrier Reef is definitely worth a one day tour if that is all you have time for,

Hard decision!

Canton, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

I appreciate all the responses which will help me make a more informed decision. I will be in Australia for two weeks but I will spend a portion of that in Perth and a few days in Sydney. Since I am leaving from Brisbane, I decided to spend the last few days there. I know it isn't much time, but I want to maximize what time I do have. I was overwhelmed with the possibilities, so I thought I would ask. :)

Are there any excursions that if I had to do one while in Brisbane that is highly recommended over all others that I shouldn't miss?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

the link I posted is the list of Top Things to do in and around Brisbane. I spent a fair bit of time updating it today with new photos etc...so I hope it will be of some use to you.

As far as a MUST DO goes I would probably say a day trip to North Stradbroke Island or Moreton Island , although 'Straddie' is cheaper and closer and more 'doable', but you will get different answers from different people. Another favourite day trip of ours would be Noosa.

Another thing about the possibility of going up north is that it will be stinger season as well as Monsoon season so whilst normally we would all encourage you to head up there no matter what, January is not the time to do it.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

Another thing to think of is that January is in the middle of Stinger season and it is also the wet season so perhaps Cairns may not be the best place for swimming? I am sure some FNQ's (Far North Queenslanders will correct me if I'm wrong).

As well as looking at 40ish's suggestions have a look at

www.ourbrisbane.com/see-and-do/places-to-see

Hope this helps

Oscar

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

snap Oscar, lol....;-)

mowngrass
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions on spending time in Brisbane, Australia

I agree with earlier posts - any further north than Mackay, and you are going into the hottest and most humid areas of Queensland at the worst times, not worth it in my opinion for only 3 days. Hire a car and either go north to Noosa & inland from there for a more relaxed low-key experience, or the Gold Coast & inland to the south for a more ritzy and populous experience. Either is great. If you stay in Brisbane, I would do a day trip to Moreton island, Straddie is too stretched out and (in my opinion) less day-trip friendly, and stay for the dolphin hand feeding at dusk, then a day at Southbank take in the pool/beach, the museums, outdoor cafés and galleries of that precinct, final day you could take in other Brisbane sights/activities, there are many: Mt Cootha lookout, Brisbane River cruise, Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, etc etc. The 'OurBrisbane' sight mentioned in an earlier reply is excellent & can give you hundreds of detailed things to do for a final day.