We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

Hi

Any suggestions for activities which may suit. I am mid fifties and travelling with my father. We have accommodation, vehicle & flights organised, actually staying with family who will be at work on weekdays.

So as shopping is not a go for Popand I have limited funds we, may visit his newest great grandson, apart from that, the wedding & perhaps sightseeing we have no plans.

Thx in anticipation

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,510 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

What are your father's interests & mobility levels?

We have several 80 somethings in our family and their interests include horse racing, theatre & art, zoos, orchid growing & bird watching.

You mention you may do some sightseeing. If you haven't already planned it, and the weather is good, you might conider a trip to Stradbroke Is., or a drive up to Mount Tambourine. Or 45 mins drive out to the Redcliffe Peninsula & have lunch at Morgans Fish at Scarborough. Or one of the cafes/pubs at Woody Point.

Another nice, casual & cheap thing is to take one of the ferries along the river.

Lots to do - we just need some pointers to what your father (and you) would like and what, if any, mobility restrictions he may have.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

If Pop is a war buff or served during WWII he might get a kick out of visiting Macarthurs headquarters in Brisbane. Macarthur was based in Brisbane during WWII after he fled the Philippines (Famous I will return speech). He was based in a building on the corner of Edward and Queen streets and ran the Pacific war from there.

http://www.macarthurmuseumbrisbane.org/

Also a cruise on the Kookaburra Queen is a lovely day out.

www.kookaburrariverqueens.com

Have a peek on the right hand side of this page for a list of things to do.

Oscar

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

The Queensland Art Gallery and Gallery of Modern Art (located in the cultural center at Southbank) are both easily accessible for oldies with mobility issues - GoMA in particular oftyen has very interesting touring exhibitions. There is lots of parking nearby and everything is on the flat or via ramps.

Also located in that area are the Queensland Museum and the QPAC performing arts complex.

Southbank itself is also easily accessible - once again plenty of parking and stairs are easily avoided. It is a fantasic public parkland with a man made beach, lots of resaurants and interesting shops to browse in and a relatively cheap cinema.

As you will have a car you can also day trip. The botanic gardens at the base of mout cootha are great if you have an interest in plants and gardening. There is also a planaterium there but you would need to check the opening times - that said the shows are fantastic.

From the botanic gardens it is a short drive to the top of the mountain for fantastic views across briabne to the bay.

have a look at www.ourbrisbane.com for things to do and a list of whats on.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

I would recommend both the Botanic Gardens at Mt Coot-tha and the Kookaburra Queen as others have suggested. Even the Roma St Parklands is a great place to stroll around.

Auckland
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

Thanks all for your replies. Interests are engineering,mechanical stuff, green / eco things and he is slow but can walk quite far.

Must visit Mt Cootha again I liked it there last time.

MOMA would not suit the old man but I might go with my niece.

Cheers again

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

Brisbane Marketing has a fairly new website, which gives info on Brisbane and the surrounding islands. it may be worth a look

www.visitbrisbane.com.au/Travel/Default.aspx

I love the Southern Moreton Bay Islands, why not take a ferry ride to Karragarra, Macleay, Lamb or Russell Islands. Taxis are available on Macleay and Russell.

On Macleay Island go to the bowls club for lunch, if you ring them beforehand they will pick you up in their courtesy bus.

The Bowls club is situated right on the water overlooking the mainland , Coochiemudlo Island, North Stradbroke, and the Port of Brisbane. Wonderful views in a relaxing atmosphere. You'd need to drive to Redland Bay, Wienam Creek Ferry Terminal and get the ferry which runs every 30 minutes. This site may help

more2redlands.com.au/Explore/…default.aspx

This is a good day out for an older person like your father.

Edited: 25 October 2010, 11:39
Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

Hi KOwhai,

This was launched todat so I thought it might help you

www.visitbrisbane.com.au/Travel/VisitorGuide/

Oscar

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

Roma street Parkland is very beautiful and a big favourite of my Nan !

romastreetparkland.com/explore/…photos.aspx

Auckland
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

Thanks again everyone, some good ideas here to follow up. Thanks a lot for links especially. :)

10. Re: A week in November for Family wedding with almost 90 y'old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 05:15