We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Australia

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Australia

Hi We are based in SIngapore and plan a visit with our 2 daughters 12rs and 9 rs old in 1st week of dec 2011. We want to cover Gold Coast , Sydney And Melbourne. Would 6 days in Goldcoast -theme parks,dolphine feeding ,beaches etc ,4 days in Melbourne and 3 days in Sydney be enough to cover the major tourist spots. Please advise would cost wise flight or car rental cheaper for Sdney-melbourne sector ?

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Australia

Hi Shanghaimum,

I'd probably give more time to Sydney than Surfers, unless you want to relax on the beach for a few days. Have you worked out what theme parks you intend to do. Obviously Seaworld is one of them for the Dolphin feeding. I'd probably suggest you could then get away with a 2 World Pass for Dreamworld and Whitewater World.

When your in Melbourne do you plan to just be in the city or are you venturing out to the Great Ocean road?

You can fly between Sydney and Melbourne relativel cheaply and this would maximise your time. Have a look at the Virgin Blue and Jetstar websites for cheap fares.

Oscar

Australia
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Australia

Hi Shanghaimum,

It's a bit hard to say how long you need in any one place. I could (and have) spend a week in Sydney or Melbourne quite easily. The Gold Coast, personally, apart from the theme parks holds little attraction... well there are the beaches but once again personally I don't think they're any better than other beach! Lots of beaches in Sydney too.

So I think I'd spend less time on GC and more in Sydney. The kids would love Taronga Park Zoo, a ferry ride to Manly ( maybe go to the Oceanarium there), Darling Harbour, The Rocks. Also depends where you're planning on staying in Sydney.

As for getting from Sydney to Melbourne don't even consider driving it. If you go to www.webjet.com.au in early Dec Jetstar have a $49 flight from S to M... no way you could hire a car and pay for petrol at under $200.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Australia

gold caost first week of december is before the school holidays start so the theme parks are not full. you should be able to do eachtheme park in a full day 930 am till 5 pm.keep a lookout for 2,3 day passes or unlimited entryon their websites.if you are adventurous you can climb the sydney harbour bridge .just google search.its an 8 hour drive sydney to melb so you lose a whole day and i agree its cheaper to fly by the time you pay for petrol stop for food drinks etc look for deals and book now if flying into melbourne make sure your flight goes to tullamarine and NOT avalon.if you stay in the heart of melbourne everything is walking distance or a short tram ride.on sundays youo can buy an unlimited public transport ticket for about 3 dollars

4. Re: Trip to Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 01:21