We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Alamo Rental cars from Brisbane

Brussels
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of Alamo Rental cars from Brisbane

Alamo rental cars have a website for Australia. I filled in the boxes to rent a car from Brisbane Airport for 3 weeks. I was directed to a page with pictures of their cars & the prices for the requested period.

I chose a Hyundai i30 & received a confirmation email for the price shown on the website.

Some time later for no reason I clicked on the reservation number which is to be used to modify or cancel the booking. I was shocked to see the price shown on that page was $162+ more than my confirmation email & what was shown on the website.

I rang Alamo, & there has been several emails between us, but they refuse to honour the price shown on the website & on my confirmation email.

Beware of Alalmo as what you think you are getting may cost you a lot more.

1. Re: Beware of Alamo Rental cars from Brisbane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 22:35
Edited: 26 April 2011, 22:35
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,800 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Alamo Rental cars from Brisbane

Larrylass, this is all my fault, isn't it? On your earlier thread, I mentioned that they didn't operate in Australia, and that they probably bumped the booking to Europcar. I said it should be OK to book with them if it was the best deal you could find.

Please accept my abject apologies.

But I guess it wasn't the best deal after all, eh? :)

Luigi

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Alamo Rental cars from Brisbane

I wonder if the extra charge means that Europcar would have been cheaper in the first place

Oscar

Brussels
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Alamo Rental cars from Brisbane

Thankyou for your replies.

Apparently Alamo does operate in Brisbane, they come up on a number of searches for Brisbane rental cars, Possibly they could be Europcar's older models. And no, Europcar was still more expensive.

Thankyou Luigi but there was no need for you to apologise, I did a lot of investigating before I booked.

Thank goodness I found them out with their inflated price before arriving at the airport.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Alamo Rental cars from Brisbane

LL, they don't operate in Brisbane at all, they are based overseas somewhere as a booking agency.

And apologies for my response earlier.

Guess I just get annoyed when people use a website from somewhere in the world and then get ripped off So glad you didn't

Happy to hear all worked out well for you and have a wonderful stay in Australia. Tassie Devil, not your fault at all. We'd be all happy to help if we can.

LTB

Edited: 26 April 2011, 13:15
6. Re: Beware of Alamo Rental cars from Brisbane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Brisbane