We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why does Brisbane airport security weigh cabin bags

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Why does Brisbane airport security weigh cabin bags

When we passed through departures at Brisbane Airport recently heading for the security people we were stopped by a security person and had our carry on baggage weighed and those that had too heavy a bag were made to shed some gear.

Baggage limits were I always thought were an airline concern not an airport concern. This appears to be a regular occurrence at Brisbane. Has anyone else experienced similar at other airports?

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,826 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Why does Brisbane airport security weigh cabin bags

I've never had bags weighed at Brisbane, but we usually have everything in checked baggage apart from my handbag. But I have had hand baggage weighed at other places, including Auckland.

And I'm one of those who wishes it was done more often as I never cease to be amazed at what people drag on to the plane with them.

As far as weighing passengers - some years back there was a period at Auckland airport where they were asking to weigh all passengers - but not for particular flights. I understood the reason was that airlines realised that their passengers were getting heavier and this had to be built into the calculations. I think this has now been done.

If you travel on a very small plane - expect to be weighed. It's happened to us on flights to offshore Fiji islands. A bit alarming but it's purely for safety reasons.

I was also weighed before a scenic flight in the SI around Mt Cook. And on that occasion the pilot told the passengers where to sit on the plane so that the weight was evenly distributed.

22. Re: Why does Brisbane airport security weigh cabin bags

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 05:45