We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tangalooma island or stradbroke Island?

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chch
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Tangalooma island or stradbroke Island?

HI there

we are hoping to come to brisbane/gold coast for a few nights in october. Would i be warm wnough to swim then and which island would you recommend? We would like somewhere relaxing, great pool and local eating options nearby. Also easy to get from gold coast or brisbane airport

thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tangalooma island or stradbroke Island?

Sorry both places are very beautiful but also quiet and laid back and dont have the big resort pools etc. you may also find it a bit difficult to get to from the gold coast.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,017 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tangalooma island or stradbroke Island?

Tangalooma requires an hour ferry ride to get to and everything on the island is tightly controlled by resort management. They have one pool on the island and that is unheated and bloody cold. October on the GC is a changeable period it could be warm enough to swim in the sea but then again whilst the air temps are generally warm the sea can still be a bit too cool to swim in. I have stayed on Tangalooma twice in the timeshares there and wont go back. They treat Timeshare owners as lower class persons and they dont get access to all the facilities that the higher patying day trippers get. They also get put into the oldest and most substandard accomodation available as well.

The resorts on Sth Stradbroke as far as I am aware have no pools and can be reached day running out of Surfers Paradise. Mclarens landing which is opertaed by Tall ships whale watching is probably the more frequently used has no pool, but a number of facilities to use. Couran Cove I understand is now in receivership and not open to the public. A benefit of McLarens landing is that you can swim in the calm of the Broadwater or the ocean beach a fifteen minute walk from the landing.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tangalooma island or stradbroke Island?

Hello

Did you really want to go to either island or had you just read a bit about them? I have been to both and Tangalooma and North Stradbroke are a little harder to get to and take a little longer, but still fairly easy! Just take note of ferry times.

There is not "that" much to do so it is good for just chilling out on the beach and walking around. Small range of restaurants etc on Tangalooma fewer on North Straddie (this may have changed I haven't been in ages).

There is a lot to do here on the GC and you can always take a daytrip to South Stradbroke (it's so close you can see it very clearly from the broadwater in Southport, some people swim or board across!).

To be honest, you could have a great time going to Broadbeach or Main Beach for food and shopping; walking along and swimming in the broadwater (which in my case would be terribly cold as I can't even get in water under 28 degrees!); taking a daytrip down to Byron Bay and Bangalow area which is only one hour south of the GC.

Beaches to see and swim in are Burleigh Beach, Greenmount and Rainbow Bay on the GC. In Byron, I'd go to Watego's Beach (there are several).

Lots of restaurants too anything from italian, japanese, indian, contemporary, steak, seafood, vego, thai, vietnamese etc. Huge range.

You must take care when swimming on some GC beaches and stay between the flags as the rips can be very bad here. Also, there are heaps of canals and some look very inviting, however don't swim there due to bullsharks.

Shopping varies too. You can find boutiques to large chains in centres like Pacific Fair or Robina.

So, all that info is a little different to answering questions on the couple of islands around here, but in my opinion they are not 'lovely tropical islands' or anything, just ok...

I hope that helps you.

Happy visiting!

4. Re: Tangalooma island or stradbroke Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 19:15