We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Brisbane.

Manchester
2 posts
Save Topic
Living in Brisbane.

Hi everyone. My wife and i are moving to Brisbane next year. We are coming over in September for a reserch trip. Can anyone reccommend any nice area's to live. We will be renting at first but we will be looking to buy a property once we have settled down.

What is the public transport system like? is it wise to hire a car to get around in?

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Manchester
2 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Living in Brisbane.

Thanks everyone for all your replies, you have been very helpful

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Living in Brisbane.

If you don't mind being in a suburb outside the City have a look at Cleveland. We stayed there in a lovely upmarket area called Raby Bay. The whole town was very pleasant.

There is a train station with direct access to Brisbane. The train fares were considerably cheaper than in the UK.

We loved Brisbane, I'm sure you'll love it too, it's a good choice for comfortable living plus it's definitely got a better climate than the other major Cities. It's clean, the people are friendly, the shopping is great, what more could you want.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Melbourne
14 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Living in Brisbane.

Realistically, a car is almost essential.

Brisbane
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Living in Brisbane.

Hiya

Brisbane is quite a big place in terms of actual land area. My husband & I also rented first before buying (by the way, we live in an apartment in Toowong which is 5kms from the city and on a train line). While renting we took the opportiunity to take drives around all the suburbs until we found an area that suited what we were looking for. It certainly was worth investing this time and effort! And YES, I think hiring a car is a definite must!

As highlighted by others, the governemnt websites are useful. If gathering information as part of your research you might also want to check out www.new2brisbane.com.au - I fjust wish this was around when I was looking!

Cheers & good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Toowong Villas
Toowong Villas
209 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Living in Brisbane.

I no you posted a little while ago but just though i would give you my 2 cents worth. I would definatley chose a suburb on the west as the public transport is excellent good train line and bus system. of course it all depends on how much you are looking at spending? but there are cheaper suburbs like ipswich that are only 30-40 min from the CBD that are very nice. but as i said it all depends on price. oxley, corinda, sherwood are all very nice. J

p.s good luck with every thing

New Zealand
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Living in Brisbane.

Hi there

Me and my husband are moving in January 08 from New Zealand to Brisbane. I have done heaps of research online and have decided to move to Graceville. It sounds wonderful. We were looking for schools for our daughter as well and there is a great one in Graceville. We are also coming over in September to visit the Graceville area. We came to Brisbane in April this year and found the public transport really awesome. We got everywhere we needed to very easily. hey, good luck with your move - It"s quite scary aye!

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
17. Re: Living in Brisbane.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 07:17