We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef

Portland, Oregon USA
1 post
Save Topic
Getting from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef

My husband and I are going to be in Brisbane for 3 days in May. I was hoping to get a glimpse of the Great Barrier Reef during our stay, even if its just the Southern most tip ... Can this be done in a day? Also, we have not decided whether to hire a car for our stay. Is it wise to rely solely on public transportation if we want to visit the Sunshine and Gold Coasts? THANK YOU so much for your help! Any advise is appreciated!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef

Brisbane is too far south to visit the reef in a daytrip.There are trains that run every half hour to the Gold Coast.Hop off at Nerang and there are buses waiting to take you to Surfers Paradise.

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef

You can do a day trip from Brisbane to the southerm most island on the reef....

http://www.seairpacific.com.au/daytour.html

On a clear day its a wonderful flight up the queensland coast.

Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef

Your own car would be better but there is plenty of public transport to the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast from the airport and return. You could fly over the southern reef from the Sunshine Coast airport; see airfraserisland.com.au, and also see Fraser Island at the same time. While expensive, a day trip to Lady Elliot Island would be worth it preferably from the Sunshine Coast.

Naples, FL.
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef

My husband and I are going to be in Brisbane for 4 days in Feb. 2009. We would like to see the GBR and understand that Lady Elliot Island is the closest to Brisbane. We would like information for a day trip to the Island. Also, if we drive along the Sun Coast, can we get a flight from Bundaberg round trip for a day? Frommer's guide seems to indicate that we can. Please include prices for both trips if possible and who to book them with. Thank you!!

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef

www.ladyelliot.com.au/rates/flights.asp

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,745 posts
1,768 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef

For additional info for Lady Musgrave Island..

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255074-d497…

The other option is to fly from Brisbane to Gladstone and visit Heron Island which is gorgeous too. For travel details check webpage below.

www.heronisland.com

7. Re: Getting from Brisbane to Great Barrier Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 06:22