We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

Hi! Have a connection in Brisbane, will arrive on Feb 2nd at 9 am and leave on Feb 3rd at 9 am. Any recommendations of something really worth doing/ visiting? We thought of going to Surfers PAradise, is it worth and do hotels normally offer transfer?

Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,663 posts
1,612 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

Hi,

It depends whether you really want to see Surfers or not ? The Gold Coast is approx one hour drive south of Brisbane. So you need to take into consideration the time getting there & returning back to Brisbane. Coming from Singapore you will probably enjoy the wonderful beach & atmosphere of Surfers. (most Singaporeans do ! )

Other option is to stay in Brisbane & explore the city - or catch the ferry over to Moreton Island & hand feed the dolphins.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,168 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

Because of the huge distance between Brisbane Airport and the Gold Coast I am not aware of any hotels on the GC offering transfers and the cost of a limo or taxi would probably be prohibitive. I would have thought that there are enough attractions in the Greater Brisbane area to fully occupy one for a day without going down to the GC.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

If you are into Theme Parks, you might enjoy a day at Dreamowrld or Whitewater world which are at Coomera, about half way to the Gold Coast. You can get a train from Brisbane.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

Remembering that you are probably going to be at Brisbane airport at 7am for an international flight or 8am for a domestic adding one and a half hours travelling time between Surfers and Brisbane (not allowing for traffic) is going to be a push. I suggest you explore Brisbane for a day.

www.visitbrisbane.com.au

Oscar

Beaudesert...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

Hey Vivavida,

At present, the south-east of Queensland have been enduring floods. This will have receded by the time you get here as we have had a break in the weather, but the beaches will not be the best. Wild surf at the moment is causing erosion and lots of debri is being washed up.

I would maybe visit Brisbane's Southbank. It will be the weekend when you arrive, so there could also be markets on there. Wander through the streets, but view them from a photographer's eyes and you will be amazed how beautiful Brisbane really is. Enjoy your stay.

Mumbai
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

I am Landing next week to Brisbane airport . We are 7 adults & 1 child . We have 8 bags . How to go to Surfers Paradise. Kindly reply as soon as possible.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

You can travel by train and then catch a connecting bus. However with 8 people you may find it cheaper to hire a car or arrange for a car to pick you up and take you to the Coast.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

In a nutshell- no.

Not when you have so little time.

Many nice things to do in Brisbane. Art gallery is great, museum, river trip. Walk around gardens etc all depends on what you really are into.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

Ronnmumbai,

I would hire a car. You can get the train from the airport but with that many people and luggage it wouldn't be easy. A friend recently got a taxi and it was just over $100 so you could get a maxi taxi that would fit you all and depending on luggage you may need two. There are some companies that do airport transfers so that may be worth a google search as well and they are often cheaper than cabs.

To the other person who was wondering if its worth going to Surfers for the day...its an hour from the airport if there is no traffic so depending on when you land it could take a lot longer, the pacific highway at certain times can be almost a stand still, The theme parks are closer to the gold coast so from the airport you are looking at minimum 45-50mins with no traffic.

I would look around Brisbane, visit Southbank take the city cat for a ride around the river and enjoy the city for the day.

Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: In Brisbane for 24 hrs, worth going to Surfers Paradise?

Gold Coast beaches are certainly something worth seeing, unless you've already seen the beaches of Sydney or Perth, which are very similar. If this is your first time in Australia, I recommend the Gold Coast above all else.

My suggestion would be;

- Hire a car and drive to the Gold Coast. It takes no longer than 80 minutes from the city

- Explore the beaches and shops of Surfer's Paradise

- Drive back to Brisbane before dark

- Go to Southbank for dinner and walk along the river

Southbank is beautiful and one of the best parts of Brisbane, but I do think Surfer's Paradise or any of the beaches on the Gold Coast is unmissable. If the weather is bad that day, skip the beach and just stay in Brisbane. Instead explore Southbank, the city, the valley and New Farm.