We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

Hi Guys

Couldn't get tickets when they were released on general sale :(

Emptied whisky jar at home this weekend and considering using the money (well its not quite enough but not far off!) to buy 2 tickets to Australia v Lions test in Brisbane for when we are over there. It would be from Viagogo but the people we are staying with say that they are quite hot with regards to this type of thing in Australia and im wondering if anyone knows if it is ok or not? Last thing I want to do is get all excited about going and then be turned away at the gate.........

I do know that its wrong that these sites exist and that in the same breath im being hypocritical in saying im considering using one but its not something we are likely to be able to get the chance to do again...................

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

It's a moot point now - I had an email from the official lions tour not long ago offering ticket only packages, something that they weren't doing before so opted to go with them. Slightly more £ but includes access to a pre test function the night before, 2 official jerseys and I'm safe in the knowledge that the tickets don't contravene any ARU rules. Phew!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

It's not illegal to resell tickets in Australia... however the cost can be astronomical and it's sligtly dodgy as to who you deal with. EBay is full of them.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

It may not be illegal, but it can contravene the contract with the event organiser. The event organiser may even cancel the ticket they know to be scalped. You have no recourse.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

inas, I'm not disputing what you say, however, just out of interest, how would event organizers know if a particular ticket was purchased once or twice (scalped)?

Tickets these days are barcoded, and as long as the ticket is in fact genuine, it should pass a barcode reader without a problem.

Sellers on eBay don't reveal the barcode or information about the original purchaser.

I've never been to a footie game yet where there weren't people outside trying to sell unwanted tickets (even Grand Finals).

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

ARU Conditions of Sale

Sale of this ticket creates a contract between the ARU and the purchaser which gives the purchaser a transferrable but conditional licence for admission to the specified match. The licence will automatically terminate if the purchaser of any subsequent transferee:

(a) resells this ticket at a premium;

(b) resells this ticket through a broker or agent;

(c) advertisers or offers this ticket for resale on the internet or in any other medium; or.

(d) uses this ticket for advertising, promotion or other commercial purpose (including competitions, or trade promotions) or to enhance the demand for other goods or services, without the prior, written permission of the ARU. The ARU has the right to deny admission if the licence has terminated.

Anti-Scalping Warning

We are aware that tickets may appear on eBay for highly inflated prices. We advise against purchasing tickets through any unauthorised seller and scalpers, including those tickets that may appear on eBay. If you purchase through an unauthorised seller, your tickets may not arrive, may not be genuine or may be cancelled. We reserve the right to cancel tickets from unauthorised sellers and there is no right of refund if the ticket is cancelled.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

Yeah - I get the rules.

I just can't work out how it's not a toothless tiger. How on earth could they tell, when you swipe your ticket at the turnstile with thousands of other fans, where you bought it, from whom and for how much?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

Eva's correct... there is absolutely no way that this can be policed. And has anyone ever heard of a "blitz"on scalpers? In court it would have. to be proven there was a legitimate reason to prohibit the sale of a private item.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,139 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

Because sometimes just randomly they will ask you to produce the CC which was used to make the purchase.

I think they can cope with same name new expiry but a different name on the cc will ring bells. They assume you will be with the original purchaser.

I've seen them do this at lawn with a view, Comm Games (PIA cos Guru paid and the tick was for GD and I, phone call and same surname fixed it up) and for some concert tix.

Only happens at huge events and is very random.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

Why would they assume that? Can't I buy my son a ticket to the rugby?

What about people who have bought package deals like for this Lions tour - surely it was the tour group organizer that bought the tickets and then sold them on to tour participants?

What about companies that buy tickets for their employees as some sort of incentive/bonus?

Or one person buying on behalf of a group of friends going together?

Lots of examples of people not buying their own tickets.

Still not seeing how it's enforceable.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ticket Resale sites for Aus v Lions test

hey there, no tickets left for sale in brissie :( doubt you'll find any floating around also.. many many locals are on the hunt also. best bet would be trying to win one on the local radio stations... good luck. we missed out also so just got tickets for the local Qld Reds V Lion's game, which tickets were half the price but at least will still see an awesome game of rugby at a quarter of the cost.