We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Brisbane

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental in Brisbane

need some advice on this.

i will be heading to Brisbane for from July 6th (reaching noon) -12th (leaving early morning flight).. will be staying with my friend in Indooroopilly first and heading to visit the gold coast/sunshine coast.. after that..

was just wondering. any advice of cheap and good car rental during my stay there.. as i read there is some fine prints and many add ons for car rental (accident insurance? excess refund rate?) it will be abt 4 of us travelling ard n we are all adults...and also if my flight leaves at 9am for domestic flight. will i be able to return the car before i checkin for my flight.

is it hard to navigate from brisbane to gold coast/sunshine coast too? and any advice of nice food to eat. not tat expensive but afforable..

thanks in advance for your response :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental in Brisbane

I would avoid "bargain" car rentals and just use the big companies... Avis, Europecar, Budget etc. You can choose to not take the expensive insurance, that's a risk you choose.... it's up to you.

If you choose the bettter car rental companies they all have airport pick up and drop off. The bargain ones wont.

Getting from Brisbane to the coast is very straight forward... it's one road all the way and very well signposted. You might need a SatNav down on the coast.

vancouver
Level Contributor
95 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental in Brisbane

Also..on my topic as well. I'm trying to plan out days needed to drive the coast... Brisbane to Cairns. We have 9 days. Any suggestions of the basic 'what not to miss' along this route? Were hoping to pick up car in Brisbane and drop it off in Cairns. Thanks for your info everyone/anyone.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental in Brisbane

There was a recent post about this.... and don't expect a "coast" road, it's all inland and you need to divert to the coast.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255069-i482-k6551…

Of course you. will have to check the car hire T&Cs... I presume there are restrictiions on dirt roads etc....they will all be slightly different.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 05:28
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental in Brisbane

I use and recommend Alpha and Apex companies when I holiday on the Gold Coast. Both companies provide excellent service and have off airport sites at Brisbane airport. Depending upon your flight times an off site company may not suit your needs

vancouver
Level Contributor
95 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental in Brisbane

Thanks to you all....... I think we're close to making up our minds!!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental in Brisbane

We have tried nearly all the bargain companies over the years and Alpha have been the best although their prices have gone up considerably. One you really should avoid is Bargain Brisbane Rent a Car. We had a problem in 2006 with a car that filled with fumes when the engine warmed up. They denied there was an issue. We decided to give them a try again April 2014. Bad idea! We were told we had to have an very tired Corolla with a tatty interior. Apparently booking a month ahead is not early enough to get one of the newer cars although two were sitting in the yard. We were told they were reserved for people who had been in an accident previously which was not their fault. Believable???? Lucky we checked the car thoroughly as there was a broken front piece of plastic not noted in their check. My husband thought it was my imagination when I smelt fumes again. After a day and a half he decided to look under the bonnet. Surprise. No oil cap. The oil had been boiling all over the engine hence the fumes . We rang the help number and they said they would get back to us. That took about 2 hours and we found out why later when we heard the message on our NZ phone when we got home . Anyway we were directed to Auto Cheap and it took about an hour to drive and get the part? We were told we had to pay for it and claim it back. When we returned we asked for some sort of discount as we had credit card charges, time and inconvenience . The woman argued with us, made us feel like we had caused the problem and very reluctantly said she would give us a $20 credit next time. When I said there was unlikely to be a next time she was really sarcastic and said to my husband that obviously I didn't think this was good enough. Not professional and what you might expect in a third world country when you had hired a rent a dent type car . Avoid this company.

7. Re: Car Rental in Brisbane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 13:19
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental in Brisbane

apexcairns ... you can't advertise here ... this is for advice from other travelers.

Cairns, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental in Brisbane

able58

I apologise and an email has been sent to administration to close this account.

regards

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental in Brisbane

Stay clear of Brisbane Budget Rent a Car. They are based in Nudgee Road, Brisbane.

We have just come back from a holiday in Brisbane/Surfers Paradise. On the third day of car hire we were on our way to the theme parks of which we had purchased one day deals for meaning we couldn't transfer or change the days we went. The car overheated on the way and we spent a couple hours on the side of the road - we had rang them but had not been offered any assistance whatsoever.

On one phone call while we were on side of the road in the intense heat we were told they would call us back shortly as they looked at "what they could do". After no callback I had to call them myself and was told they were "busy" with other guests signing in!

Finally, three hours later, we were told they would bring another car down from Brisbane and would meet us in the lobby of the hotel where we were staying.

An hour later and we waited in the lobby - it was another hour before he showed up and by this time it was just past 2pm and we had lost any chance of getting to the theme parks. We had also wasted an entire day of our 6 day holiday. There was no phone call to say he was running late.

The overall response and attitude was that things happened like this sometimes and they weren't responsible for the losses we had occurred by waiving our theme park passes x 3 people that we had paid for. No apology was offered. We heard the words, "yeah that sucks" and switched off - how unprofessional.

Eventually they said that all they could do was reimburse two days hire - which equated to a third of the cost it had cost us.

The woman on the front desk was lovely and clearly felt for us and offered an apology when she advised on our return of the vehicle that the first car was still not repaired. She said that given the financial loss we had endured she would talk to the manager about further reimbursing us. When she followed this up with us she had the uncomfortable job of saying that the manager wouldn't budge. Overall she was fabulous - but we would never again use this company and strongly advise against anyone getting stuck in the same situation we found ourselves in.

Get answers to your questions about Brisbane