We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stae of origin - help please

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Stae of origin - help please

I have purchased tickets to game 2 on 26 June for my dads 70th birthday but now stuck with the travel logistics. Can anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive hotel (low rise due to issues with stairs and lifts) in Brisbane. Will need to be somewhere where they can access transport to and from game.

Thy have stayed on Gold Coast before and loved it, should I consider accommodation there instead. I understand they get free rail travel to the game with their tickets. How long would the ride be? I have no idea how many the stadium holds/ what sort of numbers they may encounter...is train travel feasible?

Please help

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stae of origin - help please

Hi tegsnz, check out Wotif for accom. The closer to the stadium the better but realistically you'd be looking further out in the suburbs. The stadium holds upwards of 60,000. Travel will be chaotic and its a fair walk from the trains. There may be some sort of shuttle service, see if your hotel can organise something. Good luck

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stae of origin - help please

Hi. You're going to be hard pressed finding anything in inner Brisbane for under $300 for that night, but I would say the Gold Coast is a bit far to stay, especially if you are making your way back down there after the game. The train trip down takes about an hour and 15 minutes, and that only gets you to the suburbs, where there aren't too many hotels. Try airbnb.com.au, they may have something more reasonably prices around the area, staying in someone's house. Anywhere you stay you will still need to take public transport to the stadium, what type depends on where abouts you stay.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stae of origin - help please

I would book accommodation if you're looking in Brisbane as soon as possible if you can. There's very little on the ground. You might be able to get something out in Chermside and catch the bus in from the shopping centre (there'll be a shuttle bus to the ground from there).

There's still lots of availability on the Gold Coast. The trip from Nerang station to Roma Street takes anywhere from just over an hour to an hour and a half. Keep in mind there's a walk to the stadium from Roma St station.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stae of origin - help please

Re post #1 travel will not be chaotic at all from the Gold Coast. We have attended a number of SOO matches at Suncorp and commuted up from the Gold Coast. Depending upon the fitness of your Dad there are two options open to you if travelling from the GC on the train. Option 1 is to get off at Roma Street and walk to the Stadium with the multitudes. It will take around 30 minutes with some high stairs to negotiate and the uphill walk up Caxton St on the way back. Option 2 is to go to Roma Street and then the train back to Milton. From Milton it is about a 10 minute walk to the Stadium. Your ticket gives you free travel on the train. Whilst the ticket does not give free travel on Surfside buses I have had occurrences where the driver has given us free travel.

The train is a painless way of getting to and from the stadium.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stae of origin - help please

Thanks for this, gives me a bit of confidence. After spending the $360 on tickets i suddenly started to have "what have I done" thoughts. I like the option you presented re train and then train to milton.

thanks. How far away is the nerang station from pacific fair?

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stae of origin - help please

It is about a 15 min drive from Pacific Fair to Nerang Station.

Re accomodation why don't you look at motels in the inner city suburbs such as Ascot, Windsor etc? Then you can bus it in or catch a train or even grab a taxi to Suncorp.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stae of origin - help please

The cheaper places are out in the suburbs - Chermside has been mentioned and bus travel is simple from there. Perhaps look at Quest Chermside or Chermside Apartments. There's also Northgate Comfort Inn for a place to put your head. Train travel is probably best for that one. I'll get back to you when I remember the name of a place at Virginia on Sandgate Road - used to be called ----Palms, I think.

On the other side of town there's Travel Lodge Garden City at Upper Mt Gravatt and right on bus route. Then further south but near the buses there's Hotel Gloria at Springwood.

Get in quick, I think!

Archi

8. Re: Stae of origin - help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 06:16