We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brisbane to Mackay

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Brisbane to Mackay

We are planning to drive from Brisbane to Mackay in December in one shot and then taking our time returning.

Are there plenty of gas/petrol stations along the way? How late at night should we expect them to be open? What is the fastest way?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brisbane to Mackay

Its about 1000km and you will need to leave early to do the trip. Just getting out of Brisbane will take you at least 30 mins + if you leave at the wrong time.

Straight up the HIghway is the most direct.

Its still a fair amount of roadwork along the road and you will get held up with trucks etc. No doubt you have read the reviews of people travelling this awful highway! Driving at night after a long time on the highway in unlit conditions is very tiring.

That said- lots of places to stop.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brisbane to Mackay

Hi

Its approx. 971 km, 10 hours 39 mins drive from Brisbane to Mackay. It will be a long drive so you will need to rest every two hours or change drivers. As mentioned by hamiriver the roads are not in excellent conditions.

If you can I would split the drive & enjoy ! Maybe consider stopping off at Gladstone or Yeppoon.

Approx times -

677 km, 7 hours 40 mins - Brisbane to Yeppoon.

354 km 4hrs - Yeppoon to Mackay

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brisbane to Mackay

Fly up and then drive back.

Tiger apparently have cheap fares

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brisbane to Mackay

It's summer here then the further up near rockhampton you go the hotter you get..

Please think very carefully about doing it..

Dusk and dawn kangaroos are out and about.. As much as I love kangaroos they seem to be drawn to headlights.

I moved from Mackey to bris in 2002 drove down with a new born and a 19month old been back a few times but flown..

Maybe since the floods they have improved the roads I'm not sure.. On a map it looks like a nice straight flat road but its not.

I could be wrong now but between rockhampton and Mackey there was hardly any phone reception.

There is a road safety campaign here "stop revive survive" it's suggested you stop every 2-3 hours I think it is get out stretch change drivers if you can.. I think it's between 10-20 minutes they want you out from behind that wheel..

This is a nearly 1 000km drive

Petrol stations are there.. From memory there was one area that had a sign up saying " last petrol station before " somewhere I cannot remember..

There was some nice little places to stay if you decide to cut the trip in two..

I live on the south side and if I was doing that trip I would be gone from my house by 5am to make sure I was away from peek hour traffic. Or leave after 9.30am. Stopping for morning tea, lunch afternoon tea..

Stay safe drive within speed limits

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brisbane to Mackay

Hi to our Denver visitor!

[Love your city and Rockies nearby.]

I drove from Emu Park, near Rockhampton a few weeks ago. The stretch from Rockhampton to Gladstone was truly frustrating because of all the roadworks, taking double the usual travel time and being really tiring driving. [ The roads were badly damaged during a series of huge floods over the past two years or so.] The other nuisance were the frequent stoppages to allow oncoming oversize vehicles through with police closing parts of the road at points.

I would recommend flying one way.

Archi

6. Re: Brisbane to Mackay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Brisbane