We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with the kids?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do with the kids?

Hi,

My family and I are travelling back to Brisbane at the end of October for a few days before my daughters and I depart for an overseas holiday. We are going to do our best to get on New York time before we head over, as we only have a limited time.

I know Brisbane quiet well, and Ipswich, I lived there for 23 years, however I have very little knowledge of 'night life'.

My daughters are 8 and 10 and I wondering if anyone knows of 24 hour skate rinks or bowling alleys (I know strike bowling in the city is open late / all night, but would kind of like to avoid Queen Street with the kids and odd hours of the night), I'm just looking for something we can do during the night that's stimulating to keep us awake. We're staying in Ipswich, but I'm more then happy to travel a good hour to hour and a half.

Thank you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,579 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with the kids?

My recommendation after years of travelling both long haul and domestic with kids is the last thing I would do is keep them up all night just before a long haul flight. I would just keep to your normal routine and then once on the plane switch your watch to US time. Once you arrive don't let the kids sleep but keep them active and outside in the fresh air, have an early dinner and then to bed.

My experience with long haul and kids goes right back to a trans Pacific flight with a 3 week old. Believe me most kids will sleep on a long flight. They seem to deal with jetlag better in some cases that adults.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with the kids?

Late night activities suitable for children.... MMMM .... nope, I've got nothing. Movies?

As millsie said, I wouldn't keep them awake ... kids can sleep almost anywhere. Do you really want tired grumpy kids on the plane?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with the kids?

I third that opinion! Don't keep them up, they'll be zombies and will be over tired. We had to stay up really late on a trip back from Florida and it was terrible.

4. Re: What to do with the kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 05:17