We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax rate for duty free in Brisbane

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
Tax rate for duty free in Brisbane

will be travelling to brisbane on 23 march. Anyone know if i can choose to pay tax for the duty free cigarette into Brisbane? If yes what would be the rate? Thanks for any reply.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,284 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tax rate for duty free in Brisbane

How do you mean?

Can you pay full rate for cigarettes at the duty free shop in Brisbane airport .... is that what you mean?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tax rate for duty free in Brisbane

Well, you can only bring 50 cigarettes into Australia duty-free. If you bring more, you will be taxed on all the cigarettes you have. You don't "choose".

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tax rate for duty free in Brisbane

Sorry if the question is a bit unclear. 'Choose' to buy duty free and pay tax or don't buy duty free at all.

So if I want to bring in 100 sticks do I get tax for 50 or all the full 100 sticks as 50 are the allowed number of cigarette to bring in?

And how much it need to pay in tax in this scenario? Thanks.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 04:11
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tax rate for duty free in Brisbane

I did the Maths on this once but I can't find the figures at the moment.

If you bring more than 50 sticks it works out the same as buying them in a shop in Brisbane because you pay duty on all, so you defectively lose the allowance on the first 50. So bring a carton of 200 you pay duty on the full carton. It's on the DFAT website somewhere but gets complicated because duty is charged per gram of to account not per cigarette.

At over $20 a pack it's a good time to think about quitting if that's on your agenda.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tax rate for duty free in Brisbane

Ok thanks for the reply.

6. Re: Tax rate for duty free in Brisbane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 05:19