We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,318 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

Information on the upcoming G20 Summit & Leaders Forum for 2014, which will impact rates and availability for accommodation.

For Brisbane, the dates between 11th to the 17th November will be severely impacted, with an anticipated 7000 room night usage. Although it is predominantly for 5 Star, the shortage has had a trickle on effect to lower categories of hotels.

Rates have reached NYE highs, with some 4 Star hotels now charging $300+/night.

If travel plans allow, it maybe favourable to avoid CBD accommodation during this time.

https:/…event_schedule

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,318 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

An article from this morning's Australian;

"Brisbane caught short on G20 hotel rooms"

"WORLD leaders will be accommodated outside Brisbane and shuttled to the G20 summit in “green-lighted’’ motorcades or helicopters because of a shortage of presidential-standard hotel suites­.

Organisers of the weekend meeting in November, set to be attended by US President Barack Obama and the leaders of the world’s 19 next-richest countries, have revealed that an undisclosed number of them will stay at Sanctuary Cove, nearly an hour’s drive from Brisbane.

The Australian understands that as many as three leaders could be put up at the InterCont­inental Sanctuary Cove Resort, one of 11 hotels earmarked for use by the leaders during the summit on November 15-16.

Test runs for motorcades between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, 20 minutes further by road than Sanctuary Cove, were conducted recently.

The plan would allow leaders to speed to and from the meeting venue at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre in road corridors secured by traffic police.

The luxurious Pallazzo Versace Hotel on Southport Spit was under early consideration as a so-called sole-use venue, but is no longer in the mix, possibly due to road access issues with the area’s notoriously congested traffic.

G20 organisers are in the process of negotiating with a number of the designated hotels to upgrade their premium rooms for use by leaders. The G20 Taskforce insists only “minor modifications’’ will be required..

It is believed that only one leader — Mr Obama — will have a hotel for his sole use. Early reports indicate that would be the Stamford Plaza on Brisbane River. Others will share hotels, though they will most likely have their own floors.

Organisers have block-booked more than 7000 hotel rooms in Brisbane, most of its existing stock, to accommodate the official delegations and anticip­ated 3000 journalists who will cover the $370 million summit.

Brisbane’s Hilton Hotel has had all of its 319 rooms booked for sole use under a $1.43m contract with the federal government"

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,593 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

We'll be in the US ... maybe Putin could house-sit for us.

QLD
Level Contributor
115 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

What about The Palmer Resort at Coolum. I believe it`s empty most of the time.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,186 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

Jeez able, I thought you want Tony Abbott to house sit.

Thanks for the update KVE, I'll miss them, I fly in on the 20th Nov for a week, they obviously gave me the wrong dates :o( thank goodness :o)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,593 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

Yeah ... Tones would give me an iron clad guarantee to turn up and guess what happens next?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,186 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

A pay rise, and a more secure job?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,593 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

I'm sorry ... any further comments about "that" man will require language that will get me banned for life from TA.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,318 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

Very fortunate to miss it Rob, events like this maybe good for the city, but it can cause havoc. I really feel sorry for the hotel staff involved in the events.

So able, of all the world leaders in attendance, Putin is your first choice as a house sitter?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,593 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

Couldn't think of anyone else offhand ...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,318 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visitor Accommodation Information - G20 Summit

Lol fair enough. With Putin house sitting, there a good chance by the time you return from holidays, that you've 'acquired' your neighbouring houses also 😄

Edited: 03 June 2014, 04:15