We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G20 summit

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
G20 summit

Hello!

Back in January, I booked a flight from Brisbane to LA for Monday 17th November, not realizing that the G20 summit will be on 15th and 16th November.

Having never traveled during a big event like a G20 summit before, I'm not sure what to expect delay-wise. Is it likely that there will be a lot of travel disruptions even on Monday 17th November? If so, do you think it's worthwhile to try changing my flight, or is it not that bad?

Thanks in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,540 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: G20 summit

It would have little to no bearing on your outbound. 7000 odd people are not going to all depart at the same time, so I wouldn't bother altering your schedule.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: G20 summit

I'm not sure where you live but remember there will be traffic restrictions around the city so maybe plan for that ... possibly extra security at the airport ... possibly.

Fortunately we will be away for the entire time :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: G20 summit

You will just need to allow a little bit more time to get to the airport as some of the traffic restrictions will still be in place in the city center. There will also likely be increased security at the airport (meaning that it will be on par with what is standard in USA).

Otherwise the worst of the disruptions will be Friday - Sunday.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: G20 summit

Also check you can actually get accommodation! I know a lot of the hotels are completely shut down with the delegates staying there.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,540 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: G20 summit

The OP lives in Brisbane, and is heading overseas

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: G20 summit

I don't think you will have any worries... maybe a little delay here & there although I imagine airport security will be on high alert.

7. Re: G20 summit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:15