We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help !!!!!!!

Which Brisbane hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
10 posts
Save Topic
please help !!!!!!!

We are looking to make a permanant move to sunny Brissy this time next year and would like to ask you ressidents which are the suberbs we should be looking at and which we should stay away from.We have been looking around North Lakes?? We are a married couple with two kids they are 10 and 11. We will rent ,maybe for 6 months then intend to buy.

Thanks, from Blighty.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please help !!!!!!!

ok, a lot more info is needed to give you good advice here. Brisbane is a huge city in terms of the amount of land it occupies. Generally Brisbane is considered to be the suburbs within a 20km radius of the city centre, however in some areas this can extend out to nearly 40km from the city. If you wanted to drive from one side of Brisbane to the other (say Manly on the bay to moggill in the west) it would take you over an hour, and that is with quite a bit of freeway/highway type roads.

North lakes is a master planed community about 25km north of Brisbane. It is still part of Brisbane, but is an outter suburb.

Where you live depends largely on where you will be working. If you are going to work in the CBD then it is preferable to live in the 5km radius of the city, or on a train line. Brisbane is growing so fast that the infrastructure can not keep up. While we have a reasonably good public transport system, it is groaning under the weight it is carrying, and the traffic congestion is gettying worse.

If you intend to work in the CDB then you will not be driving to work (if you are smart), so will need to choose somewhere on the main transport corridores. However if you are not planning to work in the CBD then you have a little more flexibility.

Try to pick somwhere close to where you will be working.

once you have outlined where you will be based for work I can give you an idea of the options in the area.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please help !!!!!!!

Hello!

North Lakes is great - but it is not in Brisbane. It is part of the Pine Rivers Shire which is the first shire outside Brisbane. It is good, as far as position goes, because it is half way between the coast and Brisbane and residents can enjoy the lifestyle of both in a 45 minutes drive. There is a good school there that is currently P - 10 which means it is a primary and high school combined which sound perfect for your guys as you will have one in high school and one in primary within a year.

As said previously if you intend to work in Brisbane it is a long way out. You could expect a 45 minute to 1 hour 30 minutes drive to work each day depending on traffic - but that should be nothing if you are used to London. As with previous post a bit more informatino about where you will be working with help with advice!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: please help !!!!!!!

As already mentioned, North Lakes is a fair hike north of Brisbane. If you wind up with a job in the city, expect a 45min train ride from the closest station to the city, and an even longer bus ride.

North Lakes has got a nice new shopping centre however, and the real estate there is cheaper than a lot of suburbs closer to the city, and even a few that are further out.

I can recommend looking at the website www.realestate.com.au, for both rentals and places to buy. I am currently using it as I am looking at buying next year. The Real Estate to BUY section allows you to search by map, which might give you some idea of subrub locations (The RENTAL section might not include this, but you can look here first then go back to rentals). The site also helpfully lists nearby schools, doctors, shopping centres, public transport and other useful places for each property.

Another site that might give you an idea of suburbs is www.whereis.com.au . You might want to enter in a place of interest and just zoom out and browse around.

Hope this is helpful

Brisbane
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: please help !!!!!!!

Hi

Most houses in outer suburbs like north lakes are generally cheaper due to the lower land values.

The downside is the inconvenience of travelling time to go to work etc. Cost of transport.

If you are working close by this will be great.

If you are going to work in Brisbane plan your home to suit.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please help !!!!!!!

Loads of UK expats are settling in North Lakes so your kids would settle into schools well. It is a lovely area and close to Sunshine Coast which I think has the best beaches in Oz.

Have you been to Bris for a reccy yet? Highly suggest you do this in Feb-ish 2007 so you can see how hot Brisbane can be in summer and determine if it's the right city for you.

Again, more info on your career would be good - if you're a merchant banker, North Lakes would be a fair way out for you to get to work each day (esp by UK standards where they all think anything more than 20 min drive is a fair trip).

I lived in Deception Bay (about 10-15 min north of North Lakes) and still travelled to CBD each day for work, so it's certainly not a big deal, just be prepared for it.

Leeds
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: please help !!!!!!!

Thanks to you all, great posts.. I,m a joiner by trade but am currently a building site manager so not sure where I would find my self working and what job i,ll be doing. I suppose a managing job would be good in the heat but I,ve worked in Athens in the summer and London in the winter and I think I know which one I prefer.

Please do not get me wrong. I realise the hummidity is the killer as I have also worked in Kuala Lumper as a joiner and do not expect it to be easy.

Thanks again for all your replys and hopefully this time next year we can buy you a cold one !!!!!!!!!

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please help !!!!!!!

North Lakes will be perfect for you then because there is heaps of building going on in this new suburb! Great pick.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please help !!!!!!!

Well Lozwill,

If you survived KL then you will survive Queensland. I just came back last week from KL, and far out it was sooooooooooo humid.

Aussie
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: please help !!!!!!!

Hi, we live in North lakes and love it. If you need info, let me know. Loads of English expats here. Lots of building still going on. The weather is gorgeous and not that humid. (well, we lived in Darwin for 6 yrs). So close to Sunshine Coast which is superb!

10. Re: please help !!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 15:20