We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hairdressing ???

walsall,england
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
hairdressing ???

Hi all

I am looking into how salons operate in Australia, as we are in the process of emmigrating ,I currently live and work in UK , i have been a hairdresser for 9 years at present i am a freelance / mobile hairdresser but have worked in salons for most of my career i was wondering if someone could help me with a couple of questions i have?

1: do salons out there have a rent a chair scheme, this is where i would pay the owner of the salon a fixed monthly rate , pay my own tax, insurance, stock etc and then what i earn would be my money ?as i have worked on this scheme in uk and found it to be best.

2: Is there free/lance or mobile hairdressers out there if so does this work well

3:how many hours would a full time stylist be expected to work out there and what would a general annual income be ?

cheeers

Brisbane
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hairdressing ???

Hi shellstu

I don't know much about working in this industry, I'm sorry, but I'll try to help!

1) I know a lot of salons have this type of scheme available for nail artists or waxers (usually where other staff in the salon do not actually offer the service). If you can't see any jobs of this type on www.seek.com.au you could try searching the yellowpages (www.yellowpages.com.au) for salons, and then emailing a few to ask.

2) There are a lot of free lance and mobile hairdressers (as well as every other beauty industry profession). They are often booked for weddings, school formals ("proms") and other special events. These people are usually self-employed, which means money can be a problem when you first set up until you get enough clients, and the good word spreads.

3) A regular "full time" week in Australia is around 36 - 38 hours. Of course in an industry such as beauty, this can be quite flexible (depending on whether you want to work weekends, or evenings - especially if you become a mobile stylist).

As to income, a general idea of stylist income can probably be found by looking on www.seek.com.au or www.mycareer.com.au

Seek doesn't put incomes on their adverets as often as mycareer does

Good luck with your research!