We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns to Airlie Beach

Geraldton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Cairns to Airlie Beach

My husband and I will be travelling from Cairns to Airlie Beach from October 24 to either the 25th or 26th. Is there anything to see on the road between the 2 cities. We can make the trek in 2-3 days. I'm asking because i want to book a tour to whitehaven beach and do a dive and don't want to have to rush to Airlie Beach and miss anything neat along the way. We have rented a campervan so booking hotels/hostels is not an issue.

Thanks for any advice!

4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,675 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cairns to Airlie Beach

Magnetic island is one possible stop

https://www.magneticislandtourism.com/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,121 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cairns to Airlie Beach

Hi,

Mission Beach with a day trip to Dunk Island ...

www.greatbarrierreef.org/islands/dunk-island/

Beachmere, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Cairns to Airlie Beach

A bit of a rush doing it in three days. The skyway north of the airport up to Kuranda. The Atherton Tablelands itself, many attractions up there. Turn west from Babinda to the South of Cairns; beautiful spot at The Boulders . Near Innisfail a fellow built a "castle " in the jungle in the 1920's or 30's for his Spanish bride; worth a look. Turn left at El-Arish down to the Cassawary coast ; if you camp down there, South Mission Beach is more economical. Back to the highway and turn South but if you don't have time to walk the Hinchinbrook Island, then at least stop at the top of the Cardwell range to take in the view. Nothing much to see between there and Townsville , however, at the Southern end of Flinders Street ( the main street of T'ville ) is the marine center and museum; good value. Bowen is two hours South- the first civilian settlement in QLD - check out Horseshoe Bay and Flagstaff Hill. You'll get a good meal at either the Yacht Club ( Go twighlight sailing on Wednesday afternoon - they take visitors ) or The Grandview Hotel and then Airlie 45minutes South. The 3 day 2 night trips are best value as you get both food and acomodation thrown in and they usually go via Whitehaven. See if you can get up Nara Inlet to the Aboriginal paintings.

Good luck and I hope it helps,

Tim Lewis

Geraldton, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cairns to Airlie Beach

Thank you so much everyone. We definitely will be checking these spots!

Reply to: Cairns to Airlie Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted