We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun, relaxing, sight seeing, on a budget

Cargo
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fun, relaxing, sight seeing, on a budget

My partner and I are attending a wedding in cairns at the start of august this year, we are staying on for the following week, what are some must see and must do’s? We don’t want to blow the budget. We will probably get a hire car so will have transport to and from our accomodation.

5 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,372 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun, relaxing, sight seeing, on a budget

I am afraid that PD is not a cheap holiday destination if you want to explore the area. GBR day trip is a must IMO when in PD. That is not cheap. I recommend Wavelength.

Other things to do and some would say musts are Daintree Rainforest and Cape Tribulation, Atherton Tablelands, Mossman Gorge, Kuranda, Hartley's Crocodile Adventure and more. Everything can be done by car and IMO that would be the cheapest and best option.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,170 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun, relaxing, sight seeing, on a budget

To add to Cromansexcellent list, visiting Babinda Boulders and Josephine Falls south of Cairns is free apart from the petrol to get there.

Cheers.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
643 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun, relaxing, sight seeing, on a budget

For self drive budget trips I recommend.

- 1/2 day trip to Copperlode Dam , then a visit to the Barron Falls at the power station up from Lake Placid. If time alows include a drive to Crystal Cascades and enjoy a cool dip in one of the many rock Pools.

- Babinda Boulders , Josephine Falls , The Golden Hole and Bramston Beach , on the way back to Cairns call into the Behana Creek swimming hole in Aloomba and then into the Gordonvale township for a cold beer and the best Pies in the country ( next to the pub).

- A trip to the Tablelands , travel the Gillies Hwy , on reaching the top go to the Cathedral tree , Lake Barrine , Lake Eacham , The Curtain Fig Tree then head to Malanda , Malanda Falls on to Milla Milla Falls and if you have the time and energy enjoy the falls circuit. Return to Cairns via Innisfail . This is a very long day but well worth the effort.

- Fitzroy Island . Voted Australias #1 Beach is not to be missed do as much or as little as you want.

- Head North the scenic Captain Ccok highway is one of Australias most scenic routes , Visit Port Douglas and perhaps include a visit to Mosman Gorge ( fees apply to enter). Alterntively visit Silky Oaks resort enjoy a dip in the creek and a drink at the bar.

If you have the time and wish to travel further north , the river crossing at the Daintree is awesome then the rest is spectacular, be sure to stop at the lookout and enjoy Cape tribulation.

Lots of places mentioned , do your research and have a great time.

Cargo
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun, relaxing, sight seeing, on a budget

Thank you so much! Very helpful, and lots of things to look into. I appreciate it.

Cargo
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun, relaxing, sight seeing, on a budget

We won’t be staying in PD.

Thank you for the help, I have a lot to research. Much appreciated

Reply to: Fun, relaxing, sight seeing, on a budget
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted