We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November in cairns

tyne and wear
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
November in cairns

Is November a good time to visit cairns and whitsundays

35 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,799 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November in cairns

If you like really hot weather then yes, if you don't mind really high humidity then yes. If you love a good afternoon thunderstorm then yes. If you don't mind the chance of being nibbled by things in the ocean then yes.

If any of these things bother you it's not a good time. Personally for me it's not an optimal time ... but it's "okay" if slightly uncomfortable.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,224 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November in cairns

As able says, there are stingers in the ocean then so no swimming off the beach, but reef trips are fine.

It will be very warm and the afternoon storm is usually welcomed to cool you down.

Plenty of people visit then but it is not peak season so prices are better.

If you hate being sweaty, then no, but otherwise its fine.

Cheers.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
645 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November in cairns

If you look at the climate history over the past 5 years or so you will see that the weather in November has been Magnificent.

Anytime is a great time to visit Far North Queensland.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,799 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November in cairns

"Magnificent" is relative ... personally I find Cairns weather at this time of year to be blerch. Blerch is also relative.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,509 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November in cairns

Eddie plus one form me

November weather has been the old October weather with calm seas, no rain and this has even walked into December

Last November there were no storms and rough seas as would have been the norm in October

I’d happily go to Cairns late November now.... much preferable to May which has been hot, humid and stormy

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November in cairns

The wet season does seem to be moving later and later, I had a great November trip with only 1 afternoon storm then had a late April trip with storms every day and a cyclone the week before we got there.

November’s the shoulder season, it’s moving into the humid weather but is usually still pleasant.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November in cairns

Ive commented before on here about some of the constant posters who claim to know everything and roll out the standard replies for people wanting to visit Cairns in Nov/Dec. "hot, humid, thunderstorms, cant swim." non of it is true!) November last year was perfect, most nights not even A/C needed. Even in December we were sitting on the Esplanade enjoying cool breezes and the place was packed. Now in January we have had some hot weather and a few welcomed rainy days. Just got back from Mossman gorge and its still lovely. So don't listen to those folks, if November is when you can come, then it will be fine. (watch that bite me in the butt and next November be terrible! thats the weather for you.)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,799 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: November in cairns

Not sure how you can't think humidity 84 to 95% isn't what you call humid ... what would you call it?

https:/…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,509 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November in cairns

Average humidity overall for November was 75% .... during the day it was in the 60s look at the diurnal ranges

Average for same month in Sydney was 69%

Current humidity in Sydney is in the 80% range. No one will say don't go to Sydney it's too humid....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: November in cairns

You two are basing your opinions on average statistics that you've read about. I'm basing my opinion on actually being there. If you don't have actual experience of something, you shouldn't be offering false advice to people on travel sites.

Reply to: November in cairns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted