We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days with Kids

CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
3 Days with Kids

Would appreciate feedback on itin, we arrive in CNS at 11am on Sat and depart at 2pm on Tues, so we have half day Sat and 2 full days.

-On one of the full days, want to do a GBR tour. We have a 8-year old and 19-mos old toddler in tow. Which is the most kid friendly tour? Husband and I will take turns watching the kids while the other parent snorkels, but would like a comfortable boat (with shade) and kid-friendly crew.

I've read that Kuranda and Cape Tribulation are the other must-dos.

Can we do Kuranda when we arrive? Looks like it's just 30 min from the airport. But then I read the train and cable car are musts. Should we drive or catch those?

Is Cape Tribulation an all day affair?

Anything else I'm missing?

Yes, I realize we can't move very fast with 2 kids, but we'd love to see the highlights.

TIA!

8 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,825 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: 3 Days with Kids

For your family Reef Magic or Quicksilver out of Port Douglas would be most suitable. They take you to outer reef where coral is in best condition. They top at a fixed pontoon and you can snorkel at your pace. They also have a semi submersible that take you around the reef for around 20 minutes at a time. Your older one could snorkel as well if they can swim at all.

Rainforest and Cape Tribulation is a full day trip.

Kuranda is not a must IMO and not that impressive.

I recommend Hartley Crocodile Adventures to Wildlife Habitat, both much closer to Port Douglas than to Cairns.

Since Daintree is also much closer to PD than to Cairns, it would probably work out better if you stayed in PD rather than Cairns. PD has much nicer feel and has a beach, which Cairns doesn't.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,927 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: 3 Days with Kids

Plus one for Cromans advice.

You could do the Kuranda Skyrail on the day you arrive - I never feel the need to spend time in Kuranda itself, but the Skyrail is well worth it.

Then, Sunday, do the reef (all day), Monday, with kids, I would not do Daintree/Cape Trib - I would combine most of the day at Hartleys and the afternoon at Mossman Gorge.

Cheers.

CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: 3 Days with Kids

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Kuranda Skyrail -- Should we get a car and drive from airport to Kuranda and then to PD? Or is there a tour operator you recommend? How much time should we devote to Kuranda, including the cable car?

Curious why you don't recommend Daintree/Cape Trib, it seems to be a must see on every itin?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,927 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: 3 Days with Kids

yes, get a car at the airport, drive to the Skyrail, take Skyrail up and back. Devote as much time as you like. I personally only need to spend an hour there at the most.

Re why not recommending Daintree etc: yes, it is wonderful, but you do not have a lot of time and you are traveling with a toddler. Mossman Gorge is absolutely beautiful and mostly stroller accessible, and time friendly from PD. Hartleys is something my whole family enjoys - from 70yo Pa to we parents and the kids, who have visited from Toddler-hood to their now pre-teens. I just think these two options are better with your family make up than a long drive to Cape Trib.

Cheers.

CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: 3 Days with Kids

I did some more research and learned that Mossman is part of Daintree, is that correct? We just want to experience the rainforest. Also, would love to do a river croc cruise, are there any nearby Mossman?

In terms of where to stay, should we do Cairns or PD? Thinking more about proximity as we only have 3 days. The Ramada in PD has good rates. Thoughts?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,927 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: 3 Days with Kids

Mossman Gorge is not technically part of the daintree but it is right next door and it is lush beautiful rainforest with a lovely easy walk and the possibility of a nice swim depending on water levels.

If you want a Daintree River Cruise, that is actually only a short drive from Mossman Gorge - head towards the town of Daintree - not to the ferry crossing, and you will find a lot of river cruise companies - we went with the first one you resch - Bruce Belchers. It was very enjoyable and informative.

Cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,927 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: 3 Days with Kids

Yes, for what you want to do, stay in PD, otherwise you are adding a lot of extra driving each day. PD also has a lovely beach and the lookout on the hill is worth a drive up to.

Cheers.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,825 posts
170 reviews
8. Re: 3 Days with Kids

Definitely PD in your case. Ramada is not that close to the centre. It would take you about half an hour towel to the centre form Ramada. but since you will have a car, it is fine. The beach is very close.

We stayed right next to Ramada last year.

Reply to: 3 Days with Kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cairns
Recent Conversations