We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to the beach?

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How to get to the beach?

Hi there,

I'm staying a few extra days in Cairns after a contiki trip. I was under the mistaken impression it was a beach town, and now I'm wondering what I'll do for the few extra days with no beaches! Is there any way to get to a nearby beach from Cairns using public transportation? I'm staying at the Calypso hostel, if that's any help.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to the beach?

Hi there

A lot of tourists use the lagoon on the Esplanade to sunbathe and go for a swim. If you're after a true beach, however, you can catch the public buses north. (Your hostel is only one street away from the main highway where they stop). You have a choice of beaches: Machans is the closest.

Here's the bus map: http://www.sunbus.com.au/ttm_cairns_all.php

And here's the timetables: http://www.sunbus.com.au/tt_index_cairns.php

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to the beach?

Thanks so much! That was really helpful. Do you mind me asking how the beaches are (white sand, turquoise waters)? I come from landlocked Alberta so I'm really looking forward to some nice beach time!

SA
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to the beach?

There is Machan beach, Holloways Beach, Yorkeys Knob beach, Trinity Beach, Kewarra Beach, Clifton Beach, Palm Cove, Ellis Beach.

Nice sands. You will find that Trinity Beach is the first tourist beach.

Have fun

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to the beach?

Cairns city centre has no beach, but as mentioned Cairns itself does have but away from the city centre. You can purchase a 24 hour sunbus ticket. If you have access to other transport then there is so much to do you will feel the time is not enough.

You can get a shuttle to Mission beach, but perhaps 2 hours on the bus! But a beautiful beach. You can even day trip to Dunk from Cairns.

Or if in summer rainforest streams, creeks, and waterfall pools become the swimmers playground. Cairns main non-swimming spot is Crystal Cascades but there are dozens of less populated spots.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
786 posts
572 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to the beach?

willow_k - I was expecting the sea to be a lot clearer inshore (what I was used to further south). Out on the reef it was clear but close to shore there was a lot of sediment which made the water more milky green. Water visibility inshore when I was there was about 1 ft.

But you'll see plenty of palm trees which you probably don't see every day in Alberta. And the sand has its origins in coral that has been ground down, so pretty good.

There are signs warning of crocodiles which can be a bit disconcerting too. The pool at my hotel got a lot more of my time.

Use sunscreen - wear a hat ( be good to your mother & other grandma/eggs/sucking observations).

Have a good one!

sydney Australia
Level Contributor
871 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to the beach?

Trinity Beach is beautiful as is Palm cove. If you are planning a whole day on the beach the travel is not too far really.

What tiem of the year are you here? you will need to watch out for stingers if you plan to be here in our wet season.

I would also go out on the reef for a trip. No sand, but loads of lovely blue water, especially if it is not too windy and wavy. Bonus you get to see our coral and fish.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to the beach?

Although you might be toured out, what about considering an overnight tour that takes you up to Cape Tribulation - stunning beaches there and the rainforest, as well as good access to the reef.

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get to the beach?

Oops ignore my other topic, I accidentally posted as a new topic instead of replying to this thread! Silly me.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions! You are all so helpful, I really appreciate it. Now I have a much better idea of what I want to do while in Cairns - I was thinking I would be pretty tired after my tour so the places you suggested sound great for relaxing :)

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get to the beach?

Being a resident of Cairns i have to agree with everyones suggestions so far.

Sunbus is the only form of public transportation in Cairns. make sure while you are here along with going to the reef that you also go on Skyrail to Kuranda (on the Atherton Tablelands). on a clear day you can see from the mountains to the sea. It is located approx 13km north of Cairns on the way to Smithfield, Trinity Beach, Kewarra Beach, Clifton Beach and Palm Cove.

If you decide to rent a car you could drive to Port Douglas or Daintree as well.

In Cairns it really is summer all year round so you will enjoy the weather but please do remember to bring your hat and sunscreen!

10. Re: How to get to the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 22:19