We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 4 days in Cairns

IOWA!
1 post
Save Topic
2 or 4 days in Cairns

Should I spend 2 (and a half) days in Cairns, doing the rainforest and outdoor stuff and then 2.5 days on dunk island doing a reef trip and beach time or spend all my time in Cairns? I can't decide. Also, would the gold coast in august be warm enough for sitting on the beach?

cheers-nk

Townsville...
Level Contributor
564 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 or 4 days in Cairns

Cairns is a city and Dunk Island is very unspoilt. I think if you divide it up it will be very restful.. Gold coast in August is great if your own climate is cold. Lovely weather. 25CElsius +-What about Townsville? and Magnetic Island?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
269 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 or 4 days in Cairns

If you have 4/5 days then you will loose half a day travelling to Dunk. While it is a very beautiful place you can do the reef, beach rainforest, mountains, green island/fitzroy island and some cairns city shopping all from one of the cairns northern beaches, less than half an hour from the airport. Our favorite is Trinity Beach and we usually stay at Seachange apartments but there are plenty of options. It is nice and quiet but has excellent access to all the activities and a great beach. Other great places include Palm Cove which is a little busier. Further up the coast, Port Douglas is a bit over hour away and a top spot. Either way, Cairns/Dunk or just Cairns, you can't really go wrong, its all fantastic. Be aware that there is no beach in Cairns itself, the closest is Yorkey's Knob, about 10 minutes from town.

The Gold Coast in August, you should get some really good weather but as to being warm enough for sitting on the beach, most likely, but not guaranteed. We were there the second week of September last year and had a couple of really warm days ideal for the beach but still some mild days in the low 20C (75F). None the less there were plenty of people on the beach every day so if you are from a cold climate it is all relative.

Mentioned in this post
Trinity Beach
Trinity Beach
Cairns Region, Australia
Palm Cove
Palm Cove
Cairns Region, Australia
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
durban South Africa
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 or 4 days in Cairns

Cairns is full of drunken backpackers and it doesnt even have a beach, just a palm fringed mud flat. there really isnt much to do there unless you are a party animal. do yourself a favor and stay in Port Douglas or Mission Beach. There is a very nice reef trip from dunk island which goes out to beaver Cay. Dunk island is great. if you do stay in Cairns a good day out is the atherton tablelands tour, you get a trip to lake barrine (a water filled volcanic crater, Milla Milla falls, the Curtain Fig tree in the rainforrest, have lunch on a cattle ranch and visit a tin mine. all in one day. I also did the kuranda rail trip and the skyrail (cable car) its a real cattle call tour, and kuranda is full of cheap and nasty made in hong kong mementos which you can buy anywhere in Cairns.