We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
78 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

We are staying at the Lake Cairns resort and spa in just few days from now. Is it worth renting a car? We are there for 6 days - 3 of which are already planned (2 dive days and 1 Kuranda via the cable car/train). Is it worth having a car at all?

How far of a walk from the resort to the Esplanade?

Fitzgig

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

We didn't have a car a t all and were there for 5 days in 05. If we had to we just used a cab that was cheap and walked everywhere. If you got most of your trip planned i don't think you will need to waiste the money on a car. I di however recommend a day trip to the daintree rainforrest and the flames of the forrest dinner to add to your list.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,046 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

The Cairns Lakes Resort is a fair way from the city centre/esplanade.

It's definately too far too walk into the city, so you will need to get a taxi or a bus if you plan to go in for an evening meal.

With 3 days already taken up on tours, it's hard to say whether it's worth your while to rent a car.

You may need to consider how many other tours you may include in your stay, or if you could benefit from a car by taking a few short trips yourself and how many times you plan or going into the city/esplanade.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,522 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

Cant answer your question really - but my advice is if you do want a car book eraly. Last night tried to book a car for next weekend with Hertz and found thta there were none available. Did get one with Thrifty but have heard from others that cars can be in short supply in Cairns and also spoke with friends who have been in the area for the past week and say they have never seen it so busy.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
838 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

Depending on whether you can actually get a car at this late stage, we always prefer to have a car if possible. If you do have a car on your spare days - you can explore the northern beaches, Palm Cove, Ellis Beach. Do the magnificent drive up to Port Douglas and continue up to Mosman Gorge and Daintree Village. Also much easier to have a car to get to restaurants at night, eg. Trinity Beach etc.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

We've been trying to figure out the same thing. We're staying in Yorkeys Knob and plan to do a reef trip one day and the Kuranda trip on another. What is the parking situation like in Cairns CBD? Can we park somewhere (free?) for the day and then go on our reef trip?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

Hi

We stayed at Cairns Beach Resort- Holloways Beach 05, approximately a 20 minute trip on the local bus. We did day trips to Kuranda and Daintree (also white water rafting, Undarra Lava tubes & reef tour) and the tour buses dopped us off in Cairns for dinner. We then caught a taxi back to our accommodation for $25. We hired a car for 2 days (convertible) and drove to Port Douglas and went to the markets on the Sunday, before flying out later that day.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
838 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

Tekna, I hope you love Yorkey's Knob as much as I do. It is not touristy at all and is safely guarded by the local community. In my opinion, it has the best beach! I would suggest you will be much better off hiring a car. Parking is generally pretty easy around Cairns, even meter parking is very reasonable. Nearly all of the Reef operators will arrange pick up for you (some charge around $15, others build it into their price). You can also arrange pick up for the Kurranda train. However, if you have a car, you would drive to Freshwater Station to catch the Kurranda Train and there is free parking. Alternatively, if you are going up on the SkyRail there is also free parking. All very conveniently located to Yorkeys. When in Yorkey's make sure you go to the Star Apple Restaurant (Half Moon Bay Golf Club) for a meal.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

I would rent a car, there are some lovely places to visit within this region. Its very easy drive as there is limited traffic and everything is well sign posted. As Nozzie mentioned make sure you book a car in advance. You can do this online using their websites.

www.hertz.com.au

www.avis.com.au

www.thrifty.com.au

www.budget.com.au

the major car hire companies.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

Everybody: thanks for the car renting tips. I think we will be getting a car. I guess I'm just too used to the American lifestyle--using the car to go everywhere! But only in smaller places where public transportation is not very well developed.

Helpfiji: I'm looking forward to staying in Yorkeys Knob!

10. Re: CAIRNS - to rent a car or not to rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 07:20